Why 5th Circuit Arguments Turned Nasty; Lawyer Learns He's Dad to 75; 'Moneyball' Principles Applied to Legal Services? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

The Top Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Science & Technology Law
Lawyer Learns He Has at Least 75 Children
Sep 27, 2011, 06:38 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyer_learns_he_has_at_least_75_children/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Sign up for our FREE Daily Newsletter http://www.abajournal.com/stay_connected/newsletter/
------------------------------

Judiciary
5th Circuit Oral Arguments Turn Contentious When Chief Judge Tells Colleague to Shut Up
Sep 26, 2011, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/5th_circuit_oral_arguments_turn_contentious_when_chief_judge_tells_colleagu/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Judge Who Wrote 'Kindergarten' Order Says He Won't Change His Style
Sep 28, 2011, 06:27 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/judge_who_wrote_kindergarten_order_says_he_wont_change_his_writing_style/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

The New Normal
Can 'Moneyball' Principles Be Applied to the Valuation of Legal Services?
Sep 29, 2011, 09:29 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/article/can_moneyball_principles_be_applied_to_the_valuation_of_legal_services/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: If Legal Services Value Stats Were Created, Standardized, Law Clients Could Play 'Moneyball'
Sep 29, 2011, 10:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/article/legal_services_value_stats_moneyball/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Legal Ethics
Two Law Grads Who Didn't Tell Schools of Full Criminal Pasts Are Barred from Bar Exam
Sep 26, 2011, 08:23 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/two_law_grads_who_didnt_tell_schools_of_full_criminal_pasts_are_barred_from/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Will Disgraced Journalist Stephen Glass Win Admission to the California Bar?
Sep 26, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/will_disgraced_journalist_stephen_glass_win_admission_to_the_california_bar/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Legal Rebels
The Point Man: Steven Berrent, WilmerHale
Sep 28, 2011, 08:54 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/article/the_point_man_steven_berrent_wilmerhale/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: African Adventurer: Jeffrey Krilla, SNR Denton
Sep 26, 2011, 08:49 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/article/african_adventurer_jeffrey_krilla_snr_denton/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Labor & Employment
Insult to Injury: Texas Workers' Comp System Denies, Delays Medical Help
Oct 1, 2011 5:10 AM CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/insult_to_injury_texas_workers_comp_system_denies_delays_medical_help/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Consumer Law
Lawyer Says Doll Says the B-Word, Offers Video Proof
Sep 28, 2011, 06:51 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyer_says_doll_says_the_b-word_offers_video_proof/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
Scalia Defends Moral Judgment and Law Schools That Embrace It
Sep 26, 2011, 06:33 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/scalia_defends_moral_judgment_and_law_schools_that_embrace_it/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: 'Sleeper' Supreme Court Case Asks Whether Constitution Bars Suits by Uninjured Consumers
Sep 28, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/sleeper_supreme_court_case_asks_whether_constitution_bars_suits_by_uninjure/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Evidence
Pennsylvania Appeals Court Rules Text Messages Were Inadmissible Hearsay
Sep 28, 2011, 07:33 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/pennsylvania_appeals_court_rules_text_messages_were_inadmissible_hearsay/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Careers
Can't Find a Legal Job? Be the Next John Grisham or Fidel Castro, Law School Guide Suggests
Sep 23, 2011, 06:56 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/cant_find_a_legal_job_be_the_next_john_grisham_or_fidel_castro_law_school/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Would You Hire Someone Who Is Unemployed? Have You Ever Landed a Job Despite Being Unemployed?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/would_you_hire_someone_who_is_unemployed_have_you_ever_got_a_job_despite?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

This week, we noted a jobs bill supported by President Barack Obama that would allow unemployed people to collect damages for discrimination when would-be employers refuse to hire them because they are jobless. The bill would also bar ads that seek only candidates who already have jobs.

This week, we'd like to ask you: Would you hire someone who is unemployed? Why or why not? And have you ever landed a job you wanted despite being unemployed? (Clearly, some of you have, based on these answers http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/have_you_ever_quit_a_job_on_principle_or_without_knowing_when_your_next_pay/.) We're not talking about that first job out of school, of course, but about getting a job after having been laid off, or after having left the workforce for a few years to care for children or cope with a health crisis.

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: Does Your Firm Offer Sabbaticals? Have You Ever Taken One or Thought About Doing So?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/does_your_firm_offer_sabbaticals_ever_taken_one_or_thought_about_it/

Featured answer:

Posted by Sabbatic Al: "I'm at a midsize firm in the southern part of the U.S. Sabbaticals are in our policy manuals, but I don't think anyone has ever taken one or, for that matter, been brave (dumb?) enough to ask the MP for one. I just don't think that would go over real well."

In The Magazine