Today at the Bar - Your Annual Meeting

Title: Today at the State Bar of Michigan
View this e-mail as a web page

Today at the State Bar of Michigan

August 2010
Your Annual Meeting

Hotel Reservations
Registration
Awards Banquet
Inaugural Luncheon
Diversity Reception
50-Year Golden Celebration
Solo & Small Firm Institute
Eliminate Paper Dues Invoice
New Ethics Opinions
Trust Accounts
Supreme Court Video
Practice Management Tip
Bar Journal Online

New
Discount Programs

Liberty Mutual
Sprint
InterCall Conferencing Program

Follow Us
Follow us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Follow us on SBM Blog

Blog Headlines

Three Minute Deposition Rant May Become Professional Ethics Classic

David Boies Addresses the ABA on the Rule of Law

National Law Journal Sees "Green Shoots" in Detroit's International Law Practice

In Memoriam: James K. Robinson, 56th President of the State Bar of Michigan

Your Annual Meeting

    DeVos Place

    September 29–October 1, 2010
    DeVos Place, Grand Rapids

Schedule     Directions     Sponsors     Exhibitors

Hotel Reservations

    The State Bar Annual Meeting will be held at DeVos Place. Overnight room accommodations, Awards Banquet, and all law school receptions will be held at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel.

    Reserve your room today by calling the Amway Grand Plaza at (616) 776-6450, online at www.amwaygrand.com (group code 10006E), or by mail/fax form. Reservations must be made by August 29.

Registration & Programs

    Early bird savings end September 3

  • Online registration ends at 5 p.m., Thursday, September 23.
  • Faxed registrations will be accepted until 5 p.m., Monday, September 20. Only onsite registration will be accepted after this time.
  • Onsite registration will be available beginning at 3 p.m. Wednesday, September 29, at the Amway Grand Plaza.

    View the program to see the entire schedule of section meetings, ICLE seminars, and events.

Awards Banquet

  SBM Awards Banquet

Wednesday, September 29, 6:30-9:30 p.m.
Ticket Required

Join us as we pay tribute to our members who have achieved the highest honors in the areas of leadership, professional integrity, and community service.

Roberts P. Hudson Award—James C. Cotant
Frank J. Kelley Award—Hon. Donald A. Scheer, Edward M. Zelenak
Champion of Justice Award—Charles W. Borgsdorf, John J. Conway, and Gerard Mantese (shared); John R. Nussbaumer; James M. Olson; and Hon. Wendy L. Potts
Kimberly M. Cahill Bar Leadership Award—Ingham County Bar Association
John W. Cummiskey Pro Bono Award—Eric I. Frankie
Liberty Bell Award—Audrey Gray
Michael Franck Award—Sheldon J. Stark, John Van Bolt
Unsung Hero Award—Kevin Moody
Michigan State Bar Foundation Founders Award—John W. Cummiskey (posthumously)

Inaugural Luncheon

    Thursday, September 30, 12:00–2:00 p.m.
    Ticket Required

    Share in the celebration with the swearing-in of the 76th State Bar president, W. Anthony Jenkins, along with other State Bar officers.

Celebrating Diversity Reception

    Thursday, September 30, 6:30–8:30 p.m.
    Ticket Required

    The State Bar is focused on a broad concept of inclusion to diversify and strengthen the legal profession. Its Justice Initiatives community is hosting this reception to celebrate the diversity we currently enjoy and to recommit to the value of better reflecting the society we serve.

50-Year Golden Celebration Luncheon

    Friday, October 1, 12:00–2:00 p.m.
    Ticket Required

    Celebrate and honor fellow colleagues being recognized for 50 years of membership in the State Bar of Michigan. This is a great opportunity to network with your peers and mentors.

Solo & Small Firm Institute: Build the Practice You’ve Always Wanted

    There’s never been a better time to invest in yourself and your practice—and never a better occasion than your annual meeting! Whether you’re ready to start your new practice or enhance your current one, the institute provides great programming from outstanding speakers on timely topics: marketing your practice, building a website that’s more than cosmetic, selecting useful technology, substantive law updates and tips, techniques for increasing productivity, practices to reduce expense, and approaches to enhance the quality of your life! Four simultaneous break-out sessions featuring FIVE national speakers help you make the program your own. Hear from the best Michigan practitioners, apply their insights in your own office, and discover the secrets to a satisfying and successful work life. For best results, bring your whole staff to attend every session!

    Increase Revenue—Market Your Practice Effectively
    Reduce Stress—Smart Practice Management Techniques
    Save Time—Technology Made Easy
    Build Professional Services—Handle the Hottest Issues
    Speakers at the Solo & Small Firm Institute
    Jim Calloway
    Oklahoma State Bar Ass'n
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Randall F. Dean
    Randall Dean Consulting &
    Training LLC
    East Lansing

    Lisa Solomon
    Lisa Solomon, Esq.
    Ardsley, NY

    Larry Rice
    Rice Amundsen & Caperton PLLC
    Memphis, TN

    Janet K. Welch

    Executive Director
    State Bar of Michigan

    Barron K. Henley
    Affinity Consulting Group LLC
    Columbus, OH

Eliminate Paper Dues Invoice and Confirm Address Information

    The State Bar of Michigan has embraced a goal to promote a greener environment, and we encourage our members to join this effort by signing up to pay your dues online to eliminate your paper invoice for the 2010-2011 fiscal year. By selecting this option, you will receive an e-mail in September 2010, instructing you to pay your dues online using your Visa or MasterCard. Online payment saves the cost of printing and mailing an invoice and expedites the receipt of your bar card. The process for paying your dues online has been streamlined, making logging in and retrieving your password easier.

    If you haven't already selected this option, you can eliminate your paper dues invoice by logging in to the Member Area; on the My Profile tab select Communication Preferences. Check the box labeled "do not mail a dues invoice," and click Save.

    If you plan on using a credit card to pay your dues, we only accept credit card payments online. Paper invoices must be paid with a check.

    If you decide to wait for the paper invoice, verify your mailing address by looking your listing up in our online member directory, or login to the Member Area and select My Profile to view your information.

    If you have any questions or need to notify us of a change in your e-mail address, please call us at (888) SBM-ForU or (888-762-3678). You may also visit http://e.michbar.org, login, and select My Profile to review or change your preferences online.

    How to Access Your Member Area of the Bar's Website

Two New Ethics Opinions

    Limitation of Scope with Client’s Consent
    A new ethics opinion (RI-348) affirms a lawyer's ability to limit the scope of representation by agreement with the client after consultation in the context of Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings, so long as the lawyer can provide competent representation to the client in light of the proposed limitations and the proposed limitations do not violate other law.

    Nonlawyer Assistants’ Communication with Clients
    The ethical use of nonlawyer assistants in communicating with clients is discussed in new ethics opinion RI-349, which modifies an earlier opinion on the subject, RI-128.

New Trust Account Overdraft Notification (TAON) Rule Takes Effect Sept. 15

    Lawyers with Trust Accounts are Impacted

    New Rule 1.15A of the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct, also known as the Trust Account Overdraft Notification Rule (TAON), takes effect on September 15, 2010. To review Rule 1.15A in its entirety, visit www.michbar.org/opinions/ethics/TAON.pdf.

    Forms and additional information are available on the State Bar’s website at www.michbar.org/opinions/TAON.cfm.

Michigan Supreme Court Video

    Videos from the Michigan Supreme Court oral arguments, Public Administrative Conference, and Public Administrative Hearing are posted on the State Bar of Michigan Virtual Court web page.

    • July 8: public administrative conference

Today's Practice Management Tip

    Each Tuesday a new Tip of the Week is posted at the Practice Management Resource Center.

    Information Overload Help

    If “information overload” or “information disorganization” is driving you nuts, check out Evernote. The free version is amazing, and the purchased version at $5/month is even more powerful. This application works on practically every platform, integrates across devices, and is so easy to use it is almost guaranteed to be a major contributor to your sanity.

    A very comprehensive review of Evernote is available. The introductory paragraph reads: “What if you could collect, in one well-organized, searchable, private digital repository, all the notes you create, clips from Web pages and e-mails you want to recall, dictated audio memos, photos, key documents, and more? And what if that repository was constantly synchronized, so it was accessible through a Web browser and through apps on your various computers and smart phones?”

    Another Evernote review includes 10 Reasons Why You Should Download and Try Evernote.

    Read these reviews and see if this tool might be a valuable addition to your arsenal of information management solutions. Try the free version and upgrade to the paid version if you determine you need the additional features. The comparison chart is available.

Bar Journal OnlineBar Journal Online