Unemployed Workers Need Your Help (Again)

Title: Interfaith Worker Justice E-news

Call to Action banner

Dear Atty. Faraj,

The House of Representatives is expected to vote on a bill this week -- likely tomorrow -- that will extend the Unemployment Insurance and COBRA health insurance programs through the end of December 2010. Opponents say we can't do this because it will cost money and raise the deficit.

Many people of faith and good will share concerns about the deficit, but reducing the deficit at the expense of the millions of unemployed workers who depend on these extended benefits would be both immoral and counter-productive.

Please call your Representative NOW. He or she needs to know that people of faith and conscience in the district want to keep Unemployment Insurance and extended access to subsidized COBRA health insurance programs funded through 2010. Call the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and they will put you through to the right office.

In peace and justice,

Ted Smukler
Director of Public Policy, Interfaith Worker Justice

PS: We have been forced to keep fighting for monthly extensions, while the long-term crisis of unemployment goes unaddressed. Eleven million jobs will need to be created over the next two years just to get back to the unemployment level that preceded the Great Recession -- a monumental task.

Religious leaders must speak out loudly and take action on behalf of unemployed workers, their families and communities, and congregations must address the immediate economic and spiritual needs of unemployed workers as well as advocate for long-term solutions. Interfaith Worker Justice is organizing a group of faith leaders throughout the country to address this crisis. For more information about how to get involved, contact me at
tsmukler@iwj.org

Bar

Share this on Facebook

To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list. Click here if you want to modify your email communication preference or to unsubscribe from the Interfaith Worker Justice e-mail list.

Tell a friend about our newsletter.

Interfaith Worker Justice | 1020 W. Bryn Mawr Ave. | Chicago, IL 60660 | ph (773) 728-8400