The Weekly Yelp: Washington DC
February 1, 2012

Yelp Rocks The Mic

This Weekly Yelp brought to you by

Alexis G

Take the stage, yelpers!

On The Radar

Drunkest 1st Birthday Party Ever!

Hip-Hop Karaoke DC: One-Year Anniversary

Military Members Ditch Camo For Couture:

Fashion Takes Flight

Time To Grub!

DC Meat Week 2012

Get It While It's Affordable!

Alexandria Boutique Warehouse Sale

Now Open:

Southern Hospitality

Whether you've got the voice of an angel or an alley cat, we think you deserve to rock out like a rock star. Expand your audience beyond your shower head – this week, we're singing the praises of some of our favorite karaoke joints!

Loosen up those lungs any night of the week at Freddie's. Asuka B appreciates that "if you like to act silly" while singing, "you won't feel like a weirdo." Bonus: come early and you might catch a drag show! Or, do some dressing up yourself at Kostume Karaoke, currently rotating between Solly's Tavern and Little Miss Whiskey's Golden Dollar. Carolyn V knew as soon as she walked in and saw singers "outfitted with crazy-ass wigs and whatever was available from Goodwill" that she was going to have a great time. And The Meeting Place is where Amanda G gets her Adele on. She loves that "everyone participates, even if it's just the crowd pumping you up!"

If ABBA and Tom Petty aren't your style, Michael M urges you to get your swag on and "check out Hip-Hop Karaoke DC if you get a chance." Making regular appearances at Liv, their song lists are no slouch and cover everything from Eazy-E to Biz Markie. Meanwhile, Natalie M gets down at Lounge of Three's Tuesday night karaoke. Last time she went "a songstress got all the ladies in the crowd singing along with her to SWV's 'Weak.'" And Adrienne J can't get enough of the R&B karaoke at Queen Makeda Bar, especially with both Rihanna and Barry White on rotation.

Prefer to avoid public humiliation? Rent one of Muzette's private rooms and "you don't have to embarrass yourself in front of a whole bar of strangers – just a group of your friends!" And if you're hungry, simply ring the buzzer and you can "chow on kalbi while rapping to Kanye," like Becky L! For a "genuine Korean noraebang experience," Charlotte S advises paying a visit to Color Music Studio where "they even have tambourines that light up!" Cafe Chocolate is "great for drunk karaoke-ing," declares Hung T. Why? "Spend $140 on food or drinks, and you get two hours free! So drink up. Act like a fool singing Backstreet Boys." Right on.
A collection of hilarious and eclectic films from past DC Shorts Film Festivals will be shown February 3rd and 4th, 2012 at the Riot Act Comedy Theater in Washington, DC as part of a new event from DC Shorts called “DC Shorts Laughs.” The event will feature 38 of DC Shorts’ top laugh-out-loud comedies from previous festivals along with local comedians who will perform stand-up in between the films.

For a list of movies, more info and to buy tickets, please visit www.dcshorts.com/laughs.

Top Yelpers

See who's been mouthing off this week!
Minh L. Brenda M. Samuel H. Andy S. Rachael W.

Picks of the Week

Reviews we liked this week.
Colleen M. on Brass Monkey
"Such a fun place with such a great variety. ÂHave been here to dance, to sit and mingle, fr karaoke (ha) and to play pool. ÂOne of the few adams morgan bars I can stand and doesn't get too crowded. ÂBartenders are pretty friendly too. ÂAll around a fun place, especially when I'm going out with a big…"
Brian B. on Recessions
"This place gets consistently weirder and weirder over the years. Aside from the obvious pros here (cheap 28 oz "Kong" beers, cheap rail drinks, cheap appetizers, etc), the draw of this place is really hard to define. And on a Friday night when the Karaoke comes out, it gets so crowded that lines…"
Allison K. on Madam's Organ
"When I was in college I had a bar. It was the Rock It in Alexandria, and it sufficed. It was dark, and smokey, and full of karaoke. Now that I'm in grad school, I needed a new bar. Somewhere dark, and not smokey, and full of live music. I found it.

This bar is 4 fold- live music downstairs, karaoke…"

Fresh Lists

The newest of our users' favorites.
Belting it out, Beltway & beyond
"Soju courage is critical for karaoke... but I'll settle for any kind of bravery."
Live Music!
"Go out and support your friendly starving artists!"
We Love the Night
"A recap of some of my absolute favorite spots to go out for dancing or drinks. This list is really just the places I have the most fun at, for pure alcoholic indulgence see my other list!"

Community Blog Yelp Blog Weekly Yelp Archive Feedback

To stop receiving this email click here