Re: U.S. v. Sezginalp

Neal,

Great to hear from you.  I'm in GTMO.  Got here a few days ago, and
I'll be here at least 6 months.  Not sure I'd be reasonably available
if this did go back to trial, but you know I'd be up for it personally
(even if as unofficial help only) - I wonder if they even could retry
it at this point.  It happened a hundred years ago in Iraq -- where
are the witnesses now?  And would you have a mental responsibility
defense even if they made a prima facie case?

In any event - I'm probably the wrong girl to form an opinion of what
to do.  So far removed, and not knowing the state of the evidence, I'm
not sure what they chances at trial would be.  Conversely, I don't
have any experience with BCNR or the VA in advocating for the receipt
of benefits despite an OTH or in having a discharge characterization
upgraded.

Mitigating the discharge characterization in a SILT might be fertile
middle ground?  I don't have a sepsman handy -- can the SILT be
contingent on a General or Honorable discharge, or a basis other than
"misconduct"?  I'm pretty sure that some bases for separation aren't
OTH eligible (like 'convenience of gov't' and 'substandard
performance' and personality disorder. . . I'd have to check.)

If you need some research done, I can probably facilitate.  I'll try
to get ahold of a sepsman tomorrow to check on SILT rules and
characterizations of different bases.  I'll get back to you w/
whatever I find out.

Two unrelated questions:  #1) Is the IAC issue still outstanding?  and
#2) How is the SEAL case going?  I was googling the SEAL cases, and
came across one of your facebook posts - it made me smile.  And I
loved your cnn quotes that I saw.

Best of luck, and I'll do my best to get you something on the sepsman
by the end of the week.

VR/ Laura