Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 8:45 PM
Subject: Fwd: LA TIMES: DUNCAN HUNTER SUPPORTS JUSTICE - NOT 'PC' WITCH HUNTS

SO YOU AT LEAST UNDERSTAND WHAT PROMPTED MY COMMENTS IN THE PARAGRAPH BELOW, I OFFER THE FOLLOWING.

WHEN I WAS AB 2D LT AT 1ST TANK BN IN 1971, I QUICKLY LEARNED 2 KEY THINGS REGARDING THE APPLICATION OF MILITARY JUSTICE.

1. LOOK AT BOTH THE OFFENSE AND THE 'WHOLE MAN' (WHAT WAS HIS RECORD PRIOR TO THE GRIEVOUS OFFENSE?) BEFORE YOU RUIN A MARINE'S FUTURE WITH 'PAPERWORK DISCIPLINE' (OFFICE HOURS, REFERRING TO COURT MARTIAL ).

2. IF MURDER, RAPE, CHILD MOLESTATION OR OTHER VIOLENT CRIMES ARE NOT ALLEGED, WAIT AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. IT IS AMAZING HOW MUCH THE PICTURE CAN CHANGE IF YOU ALLOW SUFFICIENT TIME FOR ALL THE 'FACTS' TO BE COLLECTED BY YOUR SENIOR ENLISTED MARINE.

ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE 'HANG EM HIGH' CROWD NEED TO SPEND JUST ONE MONTH WEARING THESE 4 MARINES' BOOTS AT THEIR ' COP' IN 'THE LAND OF THE CARAVANS' BEFORE OFFERING THEM UP FOR SACRIFICE TO THE 'PC MOB' AND OUR 'I NEVER SERVED BUT I ALONE UNDERSTAND THE BIG PICTURE' CIVILIAN LEADERS. WHAT 'OUR' MARINES DID WAS WRONG, EMBARRASSED ALL OF US (REGARDLESS OF SERVICE) AND DEFINITELY HAD 2D AND 3RD ORDER OF EFFECTS. REGARDLESS OF THE INTERNATIONAL BLOWBACK, THEY MUST BE JUDGED SOLELY ON THEIR ACTIONS BASED ON THE FACTS AND MITIGATED BY THEIR SITUATING ON THE GROUND AT THE TIME. IF LEGAL WISE THIS GOES HIGHER THAN THEIR BATTALION COMMANDER'S NJP...WELL. ITS BAD ENOUGH THAT WE HUNG THE TROOPS ASSES OUT BY TELLING OUR ENEMIES WE ARE LEAVING IN 2014. NOW WE HAVE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO TELL OUR TROOPS THAT THEIR ASSES ARE NOT WORTH MORE THAN A FLEETING EFFECT OF A SERIOUS BRAIN FART!

 Congressman: Marines in urination video should be punished but not charged
 January 18, 2012 | 11:03 am

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Alpine) said Wednesday the Marines shown in a video apparently urinating on dead Taliban fighters in Afghanistan should be "disciplined accordingly" butnot sent to court martial.

In a letter to U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, Hunter, who served as a Marine in Iraq and Afghanistan, said he is alarmed by recent statements by Panetta and others that indicate the incident may result in court martials and prison sentences.

"We owe it to these individuals and others who put their lives on the line every day to take into account the extraordinary conditions and danger they face," Hunter wrote.

Hunter added the Marines should not punished in an effort to placate the Afghanistan government. "Despite their actions, these Marines are sons of America," he wrote.

The case is currently being investigated by the Marine Corps and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

The decision on whether to potentially offer what the military calls non-judicial punishment to the Marines or refer criminal charges to a preliminary hearing and possible court martial will be made by Lt. Gen. Thomas Waldhauser, commander of Marine Forces Central Command and the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force.

 -- Tony Perry at Camp Pendleton

Photo: Image from an undated video posted on the Internet that shows men in U.S. Marine combat gear, standing in a semi-circle over three bodies.

 Credit: Associated Press