Subject: Re: your help
From: Josh Blanchard <josh@mielcarr.com>
Date: Mon, November 01, 2010 10:26 pm
To: Marjorie Russell <marj107@me.com>
Cc: "Cheryl A. Carpenter" <cheryl@carpenterlaw.us>, "tmloeb@mich.com"
<tmloeb@mich.com>, Faraj Haytham <haytham@puckettfaraj.com>

I shared the concern about them making a profit. After thinking about it, I don't think that bothers me nearly as much if you just address it. It isn't an emotional subject and I can logically deal with it quickly. Everyone who provides a helpful service to another gets paid in the process. Jurors will understand that.

I see the betrayal story in the interplay between the city OK'ing the store, the citizens voting for the law, and Cooper/Bouchard trying to overcome the will of the city and state residents. If what your clients were doing is wrong, they sure didn't have any way to know that. Where I feel a connection is in their attempts to do the right thing. This is clearly new territory for everyone. Rather than picking up the phone and calling the owners, or bringing a civil action to abate a nuisance, they stormed the place with guns drawn.

They treated your clients like crack dealers. With the right compassionate cross, I suspect the cops will admit that they had no real fear of your clients.

Good luck!

-Josh