Cost Pressures Put 17K BigLaw Jobs at Risk?; America's Richest Lawyers; Hackers Post Firm's Confidential Emails Online - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Business of Law
17,500 BigLaw Jobs at Risk? Consultant Denies 'Evil Plot' by MPs
Sep 29, 2010, 09:38 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/17500_biglaw_jobs_at_risk_consultant_denies_evil_plot_by_mps?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus:
Associate Laterals Face Class-Year Demotions and Pay Cuts
Sep 27, 2010, 05:09 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/associate_laterals_face_class-year_demotions_and_pay_cuts?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Tabs3 Presents: 12-Best Billing Practices Learn what firms MUST do to Successfully bill and GET PAID.

http://www.tabs3.com/12bestabae
------------------------------

Attorney Fees
Joe Jamail Is Richest Practicing Lawyer, But Not the Richest Law Grad
Sep 28, 2010, 07:18 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/joe_jamail_is_richest_practicing_lawyer_but_not_the_richest_law_grad?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus:
Judge Cites 'Egregious Breach' of Ethics, Slashes Law Firm Fee from $12M to $500K
Sep 28, 2010, 03:11 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/judge_cites_egregious_breach_of_ethics_slashes_mcguirewoods_fee_from_12m_to?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Ex-Associate Testifies PI Lawyer Disappointed by 'Lousy $41 Million' in Fees
Sep 30, 2010, 09:57 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/ex-associate_testifies_pi_lawyer_disappointed_by_lousy_41_million_in_fees?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Privacy Law
Hackers Post Law Firm E-Mail, Exposing Defendant Data, Lawyer's 'Lambo' Tastes
Sep 27, 2010, 07:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/hackers_post_law_firm_e-mail_exposing_defendant_data_lawyers_lambo_tastes?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus:
Classmates Accused of Streaming Gay Sex Encounter of Student Who Later Killed Himself
Sep 30, 2010, 06:48 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/classmates_accused_of_streaming_gay_sex_encounter_of_student_who_killed_him?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Evidence
Plaintiff Must Provide Access to 'Private' Facebook & MySpace Pages, Judge Rules
Sep 29, 2010, 03:36 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/plaintiff_must_provide_access_to_private_facebook_myspace_pages_judge_rules?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus:
Helmet Cam Was Legal, Ditto Taping Arresting Officer, Judge Rules
Sep 27, 2010, 07:02 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/helmet_cam_was_legal_ditto_taping_arresting_officer_judge_rules?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Legal Rebels
Profiles: Growing it Green & Arkansas International
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/growing_it_green/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/arkansas_international/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Winning Legal Rebels Essay: Solo Dreams of Full-Functioning Digital Messaging Assistant
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/solo_dreams_of_full-functioning_digital_messaging_assistant?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Watch-and-Learn Videos: On Becoming a 'Biker Lawyer'; Escaping the Tyranny of Time; and Building a Service-Centered Firm
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/how_i_became_a_biker_lawyer/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/ron_baker_on_escaping_the_tyranny_of_time/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/matt_homann_on_building_the_service-centered_firm/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Careers
What Makes 44% of BigLaw Lawyers Happy?
Sep 29, 2010, 08:49 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/what_makes_44_of_biglaw_lawyers_happy?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus:
Lawyer-Turned-Cupcake Entrepreneur Earned $100K Last Year
Sep 27, 2010, 11:34 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer-turned-cupcake_entrepreneur_earned_100k_last_year?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Professors
Adjunct Law Prof: A Low-Paying Job, If You Can Get It
Sep 30, 2010, 07:25 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/adjunct_law_prof_a_low-paying_job_if_you_can_get_it?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Ethics Opinions
Beware of Fact-Specific E-Mail Discussion, Says ABA Ethics Opinion re Law Firm Websites
Sep 29, 2010, 02:53 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/beware_of_fact-specific_e-mail_discussion_says_aba_ethics_opinion_re_law_fi?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus:
Lawyers Can't Friend Potential Witnesses Under False Pretenses, Ethics Opinion Says
Sep 30, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyers_cant_friend_potential_witnesses_under_false_pretenses_ethics_opinio?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Real Estate & Property Law
'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firms Under Pressure from Lawmakers
Sep 29, 2010, 07:00 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/foreclosure_mill_law_firms_under_pressure_from_lawmakers?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Tort Law
Hit By Hotel 'Death Ray,' Chicago Lawyer Says: 'I Was Effectively Being Cooked'
Sep 27, 2010, 04:59 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/hit_by_hotel_death_ray_chicago_lawyer_says_i_was_effectively_being_cooked?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What Hoops Have You Jumped Through to Land a New Client?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/what_hoops_have_you_jumped_through_to_land_a_new_client?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

We recently came across a Web post by legal consultant Jerome Kowalski that asked: Are 100 Page Reponses by Law Firms to Client RFP's Really Efficient or Necessary?

"The RFP typically requires completion of a 60+ page questionnaire, which frequently requires scores of hours and professional time to complete," Kowalski wrote.

Time-intensive, nerve-racking client beauty pageants have long been a bane of large law firms. But we know corporate clients aren't the only ones that require potential counsel to jump through outlandish hoops. Whether you are a solo, midsize, BigLaw or boutique practitioner, we want to know, what lengths have you gone to in order to secure a client's business? And, just as important, was it worth the effort?

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: What Legal Term-of-Art Blunders Are 'Nails on a Chalkboard' to Your Ears?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/what_legal_term-of-art_blunders_are_nails_on_a_chalkboard_to_your_ears

Featured answer:

Posted by the Reluctant Law Student: "Lawyers are guilty of this too. As a science/math undergrad, it drives me crazy to hear the term 'calculus' tossed around in law. The Learned Hand calculus in tort is a perfect example. It implies a simple formula where we find a breach of the duty of care when the burden of precaution taken is less than the probability of the loss times the value of the loss. Or, in a simplified equation, B < P * L. This is not calculus!  It is basic, simple, elementary school algebra. Calculus is the mathematics of change. Its base, the derivative dY/dX, implies the change in Y for every 1 unit change in X.  There is no change implied in the way we look at the 'calculus' of negligence in tort. We simply weigh the variables (algebraically) to see whether the defendant is liable. Thank you for this forum. I truly feel unburdened having gotten this off of my chest."

In The Magazine