Important information for New Lawyers Division Members

Title: AAJ - PAC

If you are having trouble viewing this email, you may read it online.

Americal Association for Justice

July 1, 2010

Important information for

New Lawyers Division Members

Dear New Lawyers Division Member,

As members of the NLD, you provide a critical framework for the success of the AAJ organization. Today, we ask you to continue in your dedication to both AAJ and the clients we serve by making a small, but incredibly important contribution to sustaining a pro-civil-justice Congress. There is much at stake this fall and without your support, some of the tremendous work that AAJ has contributed to that directly assist Sections and Litigation Groups will be threatened.

Together we have worked hard to help elect pro-civil-justice Senators. This election cycle is no different, and so our work must continue. Today I am asking for your help with the Committee for a Better Future (CFBF) by making a voluntary contribution of just $100. The CFBF is a joint committee of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee that allows you to contribute to several top pro-civil-justice Senate candidates with one contribution. Because so many races are in play at this time, we have an unprecedented number of candidates in the CFBF — twelve. The CFBF candidates are as follows:

Senator Michael Bennet, Colorado
Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, Connecticut
Secretary of State Robin Carnahan, Missouri
AAJ/ATLA Past President Roxanne Conlin, Iowa
Attorney General Jack Conway, Kentucky
County Executive Chris Coons, Delaware
Congressman Brad Ellsworth, Indiana
Lieutenant Governor Lee Fisher, Ohio
State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, Illinois
Congressman Paul Hodes, New Hampshire
Congressman Charlie Melancon, Louisiana
Senator Harry Reid, Nevada

The pro-civil-justice Senators have been able to help accomplish great things for our clients and we must maintain the majority to continue our work with the Senate. There are numerous examples of the success from this hard work in the past:

• We were successful in preventing Chrysler and General Motors attempts to use the bankruptcy laws to avoid liability for all of their current and future product liability claims.
• We led the effort to get the Federal Rail Safety Act modified to allow victims of a Minot, North Dakota toxic derailment to be compensated for their damages.
• Our leadership resulted in the nation’s largest banks, including JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Capital One and HBSC, ending their use of forced arbitration.
• We successfully amended language to the Defense Appropriations Bill amendment that barred defense contractors from imposing forced arbitration clauses on their employees for Title VII violations and sexual assault claims.

There are many battles ahead, including the fallout from the Gulf Oil Spill, continued efforts with challenges to the courthouse access through tort reform, relentless efforts at complete immunity through preemption in nearly every arena, and so many more battles that directly effect Sections and Litigation Groups. Your support is critical. Please help up maintain the pro-civil-justice majority so more crucial legislation can be passed and threats to our civil justice system can be deterred.

If you will be in Vancouver for the Annual Convention, please join us at the Committee for a Better Future reception on July 11th from 4:30pm to 6:00pm at the Vancouver Convention Centre in Room 306 to meet many of these deserving candidates. If you cannot, please allow us to count on your support by making a contribution now.

Please make a voluntary contribution of at least $100 to the Committee for a Better Future today. The contribution form is attached, or you can contribute online at www.actblue.com/page/CFBF.

Thank you for all you do for the civil justice system.

Sincerely,

Alexa B. D'Amato                                          Linda Lipsen
NLD Chair                                                     CEO
                                                                        American Association for Justice

Contributions and gifts to political committees and candidates are voluntary and are not deductible for federal tax purposes.
Contributions from non-US citizens and corporations are not permitted.
Event not sponsored or paid for by AAJ.

Paid for by the American Association for Justice as a communication to its members.
777 6th Street NW, Washington, DC 20001
Not authorized by any candidate or committee.

American Association for Justice · 777 6th St. NW · Suite 200 · Washington, DC 20001 · 800-424-2725
If you prefer to not receive e-mails regarding AAJ products and services,
please reply with "No Products" in the subject.