Warning About Violent Client Came Too Late; Layoffs at Jones Day; Juror's Argument with Judge Prompts Mistrial - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Family Law
Opposing Counsel's Warning Comes Too Late; Lawyer, 54, Is Stabbed 12 Times in Her Office
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/opposing_counsels_warning_comes_too_late_lawyer_54_is_stabbed_12_times_in_o
Jun 14, 2010 5:46 pm CDT

--------Advertisement---------
Fees. Bill. Paid. The only 4-letter words you'll be using if you use Tabs3. Free trial: www.tabs3.com/abae
------------------------------

Layoffs
Jones Day Lays Off Staffers in Dallas and LA as 'Last-Resort Alternative'
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/jones_day_lays_off_staffers_in_dallas_and_la_as_last-resort_alternative
Jun 16, 2010 12:08 pm CDT

Juries
Mistrial Declared After Juror Argues with Judge
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/mistrial_granted_after_juror_argues_with_the_judge
Jun 15, 2010 9:26 am CDT

Criminal Justice
Lawyer's Bra Troubles Jail Guards, Who Bar Client Visit
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyers_bra_troubles_jail_guards_who_bar_client_visit
Jun 14, 2010 6:39 am CDT

Privacy Law
Many Wince at Above the Law Blogger's Chilling Account of Online 'Stalk'
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/many_wince_at_above_the_law_bloggers_chilling_account_of_online_stalk
Jun 15, 2010 7:15 pm CDT

Work/Life Balance
Lawyer Building Tree House Office in Pine Forest
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/gc_builds_office_in_a_tree
Jun 15, 2010 9:36 am CDT

Plus: Despite 4,262-Mile Bike Ride, Vacationing Lawyer Still Works 2 Hours a Day : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/despite_4262-mile_bike_ride_vacationing_lawyer_still_works_2_hours_a_day

U.S. Supreme Court
Supreme Court Rules Against Cop Claiming Privacy Rights in Text Messages
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/supreme_court_rules_against_cop_claiming_privacy_rights_in_text_messages
Jun 17, 2010 9:27 am CDT

Plus:
Justices' Disclosures Reveal Souter's Kindle, Sotomayor's Dentist Debt : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/justices_disclosures_reveal_souters_kindle_sotomayors_dentist_debt
Why Justice Clarence Thomas Should Run for President : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/why_justice_thomas_should_run_for_president

Legal Marketing
Justin Bieber--the Lawyer--Is Extremely Popular on Facebook
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/justin_biebermdashthe_lawyermdashis_extremely_popular_on_facebook
Jun 16, 2010 7:05 am CDT

Careers
Legal Career Consultant Says Up to 25% of Her Clients Want to Leave the Law
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/legal_career_consultant_says_up_to_25_percent_of_her_clients_want_to_leave_
Jun 14, 2010 7:28 am CDT

Legal Ethics
BigLaw Firm Hit with Big-Bucks Sanction for Pursuing Billionaire's 'Ridiculous' Claim
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/biglaw_firm_hit_with_big-bucks_sanction_for_pursuing_billionaires_ridiculou
Jun 16, 2010 1:50 pm CDT

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What Would Your Dream Law Office Be Like?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/what_would_your_dream_law_office_be_like

This week, we took note of a general counsel who has just started building a tree house office in a forest near Evergreen, Colo. The game plan is for a 12-by-19-foot space complete with Wi-Fi and possibly a wood-burning stove.

Some major law firms have also recently overhauled their offices' designs. At Seyfarth Shaw's new Atlanta office, all lawyers' offices are the same size, regardless of seniority. And Seyfarth Shaw's Chicago location; Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe's New York location; and Morgan, Lewis & Bockius' Washington, D.C., location all feature nothing but frosted-glass "walls" for every office to make use of natural light and send a message of teamwork. And a new space for the 20-lawyer Childress Duffy Goldblatt in Chicago offers a rooftop deck with wireless access, a coffee bar, comfortable sofas and flat-screen televisions.

So what we want to ask you: What would your dream law office be like? Totally green and paperless? Full of creature comforts for lawyers and clients? Or are you already practicing from your dream office?

Read the full question, then answer.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/what_would_your_dream_law_office_be_like/

Read the answers to last week's question: Does Your Office Have a Dress Code? Do You Follow It?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/does_your_office_have_a_dress_code_do_you_follow_it/

Featured answers:

Posted by State Agency: "I work for a state agency and was initially puzzled as to why the agency's dress code prohibited spandex.  When spring rolled around, however, I realized that a) this needed to be stated explicitly and b) it was an excellent policy! "

Posted by Joe: "My boss is old school. We are in Texas.  Coat and tie every day the court is not closed.  It is hot!! But we cowboy up and do it anyway.  Never let 'em see ya sweat!"

In The Magazine