Ex-BigLaw Partner Buys 4,500 Patents; Police: PD Put Prosecutor in Chokehold; 51% Support AZ Immigration Law - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Business of Law
Ex-Kirkland Partner Buys 4,500 Patents, Forms New Firm to Sue Infringers
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/ex-kirkland_partner_buys_4500_patents_forms_new_firm_to_sue_infringers
Jun 1, 2010 8:20 am CDT

Plus: Law Firm Poised to Bank Millions on Peer-to-Peer Prosecution : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyers_poised_to_bank_millions_on_p2p_prosecution

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Immigration Law
Nearly 51% of American Voters Support Arizona Immigration Law, Survey Says
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/nearly_51_of_american_voters_support_arizona_immigration_law_survey_says
Jun 2, 2010 4:46 am CDT

Labor & Employment
Curvy Banker Says She Was Fired for Being 'Too Distracting' in Business Suit and Heels
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/curvy_banker_says_she_was_fired_for_being_too_distracting_in_business_suit_
Jun 2, 2010 7:06 pm CDT

Legal Ethics
Public Defender Choked Prosecutor in Court Hallway, Police Say
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/public_defender_choked_prosecutor_in_court_hallway_police_say
Jun 3, 2010 2:55 pm CDT

Legislation & Lobbying
ABA & Others Object to Sweeping Law Practice Regulation in Financial Reform Bill
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/aba_state_bars_oppose_law_practice_regulation_in_financial_reform_law
Jun 3, 2010 9:05 am CDT

Tort Law
Woman Sues After Being Hit by Car While Following Google Maps Directions
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/woman_sues_after_being_hit_by_car_while_following_google_maps_directions
Jun 1, 2010 6:15 pm CDT

U.S. Supreme Court
SCOTUS: Suspects Must Speak to Invoke Right to Silence
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/supreme_court_rules_suspects_silence_not_a_miranda_waiver
Jun 1, 2010 10:08 am CDT

Plus: Quick, Can You Name the Nine? Most Americans Can't Identify Even One Justice : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/quick_can_you_name_any_one_of_the_nine_justices_most_americans_cant

Law Firms
Massachusetts Law Firm Apologizes For Racist Ad
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/massachusetts_law_firm_apologizes_for_racist_ad
Jun 3, 2010 6:33 am CDT

Law Practice Management
FBI Warns Law Firms: Beware of E-Mail Clients (and Counterfeit 'Settlement' Checks)
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/fbi_warns_law_firms_beware_of_e-mail_clients_and_counterfeit_settlement_che
Jun 2, 2010 12:15 pm CDT

Law Firms
Meet Eduardo Leite: Brazil-Based Energy Lawyer Set to Lead Baker & McKenzie
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/meet_eduardo_leite_brazilian_energy_lawyer_soon_to_be_at_baker_mckenzies_he
Jun 3, 2010 12:19 pm CDT

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What Poetic, Alliterative & Not-So-Nasty Words Would You Use to Describe Your Position at Your Firm?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/what_poetic_alliterative_not-so-nasty_words_would_you_use_to_describe_your_

We were fascinated this week by reports from the legal press about Facebook's new automated community pages--the pages generated when someone fills out details about themselves as they flesh out their profile descriptions.

Apparently these pages are making image-conscious law firms a wee bit uncomfortable. Among the more distressing--or humorous depending on your perspective--are profiles that have generated communities that include "bimbos" at Baker & McKenzie, "morlocks" at Latham & Watkins, and "slaves" at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, the National Law Journal and Above the Law note.

Read the full question, then answer in the comments.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/what_poetic_alliterative_not-so-nasty_words_would_you_use_to_describe_your_/

Read answers to last week's question: How Will You Spend Memorial Day?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/how_will_you_spend_memorial_day/

Featured answer:

Posted by JMB: "Our family will relax, enjoy time with neighbors, and maybe throw some burgers on the grill with friends.  Since I have no trials this month or next, I'll probably spend only an hour or two checking voicemails and e-mails.  But the most important thing we will do is, as a family, run up our American flag and spend a few moments thinking and talking (with my 8-year-old son) about the origins and meaning of Memorial Day, and the bravery and commitment of those who serve and have served our country.  (I now am a partner in a large firm, but when I had a small firm I made sure we gave our employees off on June 6 to commemorate--and think about--D-Day.)  As a student of history as well as an attorney, I labor under no misimpression: without those who have fought and sometimes died for our freedoms, the legal system I (almost always) admire would itself look very different--and not at all in a good way."

In The Magazine