Lawyers Take Heat for Hidden Cameras, Foul Language and DUIs; Who's Representing BP in Oil Spill; Prof's Take on 'Beauty Bias' - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Note: Do you know sole practitioners who are innovating <http://www.legalrebels.com/about>  in their corners of the profession? If so, the ABA Journal wants to hear from you. Nominations for the 2010 Legal Rebels project <http://www.legalrebels.com/nominate>  are open.

Legal Ethics
Law Firm Partner Accused of Putting Camera Under Employee's Desk
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_firm_partner_accused_of_putting_camera_under_employees_desk
May 17, 2010 6:42 am CDT

Plus:
Lawyer's C-Word Invective Spurs Criminal, Ethics Charges by Animal Rights Group : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyers_c-word_invective_spurs_criminal_ethics_charges_by_animal_rights_gro
Lawyer Suspended Over DUI Arrests and Secret Sex Tapes : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_suspended_over_dui_arrests_secret_sex_tapes
$9M Malpractice Suit Sparks Finger-Pointing Among Multiple BigLaw Firms : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/9m_malpractice_suit_sparks_finger-pointing_among_multiple_biglaw_firms

--------Advertisement---------
Tabs3 Presents: 12-BEST BILLING PRACTICES See what 30+ years of working with attorneys has taught us.

http://www.tabs3.com/12bestabae

------------------------------

Business of Law
Kirkland & Ellis Is to Represent BP in Big-Ticket Oil Spill Litigation
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/kirkland_ellis_is_to_represent_bp_in_big-ticket_oil_spill_litigation
May 18, 2010 4:22 pm CDT

Law Professors
Law Prof Decries 'Beauty Bias' and Killer Shoes, Suggests Legal Remedies for the Former
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_prof_decries_beauty_bias_and_killer_shoes_suggests_legal_remedies_for_t
May 20, 2010 8:44 am CDT

Plus:
Study Finds 'Unattractive Harshness Effect' for Uglier Defendants : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/study_finds_unattractive_harshness_effect_for_uglier_defendants

Careers
Have JD, Now What? Many Law Grads Get Jobs, But Not Dream Careers
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/have_j.d._now_what_many_law_grads_get_jobs_but_not_dream_careers
May 20, 2010 1:46 pm CDT

Business of Law
Ex-Law Partner Secreted Assets from Tennis Star Jimmy Connors, Suit Contends
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/ex-law_partner_secreted_assets_from_tennis_star_jimmy_connors_suit_contends
May 18, 2010 12:04 pm CDT

National Security
Lawyer Catches ID Mixup Missed By 'Incredibly Bored' Screener at LaGuardia
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_catches_id_mixup_missed_by_incredibly_bored_screener_at_laguardia
May 18, 2010 3:02 pm CDT

Criminal Justice
Defense Lawyer Holds Possible Record for Most Clients Sentenced to Death
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/defense_lawyer_holds_possible_record_for_most_clients_sentenced_to_death
May 18, 2010 10:43 am CDT

U.S. Supreme Court
Supreme Court Says Life Sentence for Juveniles Not Charged with Murder Is Unconstitutional
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/supreme_court_says_life_sentence_for_juveniles_not_charged_with_murder_is_u
May 17, 2010 9:21 am CDT

Plus:
Kagan Docs Reveal: Warren Court Criticism, Millionaire Status, Skadden Arps Prep : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/kagan_docs_reveal_warren_court_criticism_millionaire_status_skadden_arps_pr

Attorney General
A New Bybee Memo Surfaces--on Practices Authorized by Ariz. Immigration Law
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/a_new_bybee_memo_surfacesmdashon_practices_authorized_by_ariz._immigration_
May 18, 2010 7:10 am CDT

Careers
'Quotable Judge Posner' Is Law Prof's Life Project
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/quotable_judge_posner_is_law_profs_life_project
May 19, 2010 12:25 pm CDT

------------------------------

Question of the Week

How Many Hours Have You Worked in the Past 7 Days?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/how_many_hours_have_you_worked_in_the_7_days

We often post here about different lawyers' takes on work-life balance. Last week, James Dolan, a professional coach and psychotherapist who works with lawyers, said lawyers should not try to ascertain the magic amount of time that can be spent on duty vs. off-duty that will make a lawyer feel as if he or she has achieved "work-life equilibrium." And this week, consultant Cindy Krischer Goodman considers the case of Becker & Poliakoff partner Yolanda Cash Jackson, who thrives on her long days networking, mentoring other lawyers and advocating for her causes at the Florida statehouse.

So what we'd like to hear from you this week: What's your personal work/life balance, right now -- and are you happy with it? How many hours have you worked in the last seven days? How many of the last seven days have you taken off from work? Is this typical? We encourage you to add any information  about your position, practice, location that would illuminate your answer.

Read the full question and answer in the comments.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/how_many_hours_have_you_worked_in_the_7_days/#comments

Read answers to last week's question: In Your Practice, What Do You Focus on to See the Big Picture?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/in_your_practice_what_do_you_focus_on_to_see_the_big_picture/

Featured answer:

Posted by Gary Silverman: "I follow Lord Russell's rules, especially the one that says that most human behavior can be explained if put in chronological order, then I ask my wife what she thinks, i.e., get the facts before applying any notions of law or judicial approach.  As James Fox Miller of Florida says, 'We don't practice law, we practice facts.' "

In The Magazine