Stevens on Death Penalty, Bow Ties; 'Think Twice' About Legal Career; Law Dean Boycotts Rankings; Laid-Off Associates Shunned? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Join the ABA Journal and 22 Tweets today at 2 p.m., ET, for our first Twitter Debate [http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/twitter_debate_virtual_law_offices_--_game_changer_or_business_as_usual/] on the topic of virtual law offices. Are they game changers? Or just business as usual?

Judiciary
Stevens Explains Death Penalty Stance, Bow Ties
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/stevens_explains_death_penalty_stance_bow_ties
May 6, 2010 7:05 am CDT

Plus:
Lawyers Spot Justin Bieber on Flight, But Didn't Recognize Justice Stevens : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyers_id_justin_bieber_on_flight_but_didnt_recognize_justice_stevens
Kagan Has Her Supreme Court Interview; Short List Said to Be Shorter : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/kagan_has_her_supreme_court_interview_short_list_said_to_be_shorter

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Careers
As 'Troubling Indicators' Mount for 2010 Law Grads, an ABA Expert Issues a Warning
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/as_troubling_indicators_mount_for_2010_law_grads_an_aba_expert_issues_a_war
May 6, 2010 7:35 am CDT

Plus:
Would-Be Law Student Sets Up Paypal Account, Asks for Tuition Donations : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/would-be_law_student_sets_up_paypal_account_asks_for_tuition_donations

Law Schools
Law Dean Boycotts US News Rankings
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_dean_boycotts_us_news_rankings
May 5, 2010 5:30 am CDT

Careers
Bad News for Laid-Off Associates: BigLaw Is Shunning You, Recruiter Says
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/bad_news_for_laid-off_associates_biglaw_is_shunning_you_recruiter_says
May 5, 2010 6:00 am CDT

First Amendment
Comedian Wins Defamation Suit Over Mother-in-Law Jokes
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/comedian_wins_defamation_suit_over_mother-in-law_jokes
May 5, 2010 7:27 am CDT

Legal Technology
7th Circuit Warns of Dangers of Computers and Tequila, But Gives E-Filer a Pass
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/7th_circuit_warns_of_dangers_of_computers_and_tequila_but_gives_e-filer_a_p
May 5, 2010 10:46 am CDT

Constitutional Law
Judge Jails Courtroom Observer for Wearing Raunchy T-Shirt
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/judge_jails_courtroom_observer_for_wearing_raunchy_t-shirt
May 5, 2010 7:01 pm CDT

Business of Law
Insurers Outraged at Law Firm's Suits to Collect Very Small Amounts of Money
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/insurers_outraged_at_law_firms_suits_over_very_small_amounts_of_money
May 3, 2010 5:41 pm CDT

Work/Life Balance
List of Top 10 Family-Friendly Law Firms Has Only Four Repeats
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/list_of_top_10_family_friendly_firms_has_only_four_repeats
May 3, 2010 7:53 am CDT

Attorney Fees
Lehman and GM Bankruptcy Charges: $2,100 for Limo Rides, $48 to Leave a Message
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lehman_bankruptcy_charges_2100_for_limo_rides_48_to_leave_a_message
May 3, 2010 9:56 am CDT

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What Title Would You Give Your Legal Thriller?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/what_title_would_you_give_your_legal_thriller

We noted this week that Scott Turow --- in addition to the Fox pilot "Pleading Guilty" that was shot in part outside ABA offices in March -- has a sequel to his best-seller "Presumed Innocent." It catches up with protagonist Rusty Sabich, now 60 years old, and is titled "Innocent."

In "Innocent," Sabich is again suspected of murdering one of the women in his life. ABA Journal staffers also noticed that, titlewise, "Innocent" doesn't fall too far from the tree. (Will a third book in this trilogy not have a title at all?)

This inspired our challenge to you this week: What title would you give your legal thriller? We also welcome plot details.

Read the full question, then answer.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/what_title_would_you_give_your_legal_thriller/

Read the answers to last week's question: Whose Opinions Are You Anxious to Read--Whether You Agree or Not? http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/whose_opinions_are_you_anxious_to_readwhether_you_agree_or_not/

Featured answer:

Posted by chris the student:

#1 - Posner.

The intersection of economics, business, rational choice, and the common law laid bare in his collected works is nerd crack.

#2 - Scalia.

Decorum demanded, but never offered in kind. Fantastic. Hard to believe he and Ginsburg are such close friends.

#3 - Thomas.

I know, no one respects Thomas ... He offers good historical storytelling, though. His conclusions are suspect, but if you want a good backstory, he's the guy. Take another look at Kelo (his dissent, not the group dissent) if you don't believe me.

In The Magazine