Students Push for Better Employm't Stats; Lower Upper Class Revolt?; SCOTUS to Firms: Ignorance No Excuse; ABA Gets New Director - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Do you know sole practitioners who are innovating in their corners of the profession? http://www.legalrebels.com/about If so, then the ABA Journal wants to hear from you. Nominations for the 2010 Legal Rebels project are open: http://www.legalrebels.com/nominate

Law Schools
Law Students Push for Transparency, More Info Re: Law School Employment Stats
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_students_plan_website_to_publish_better_law_school_employment_stats
Apr 21, 2010 8:55 am CDT

Plus:
Researcher Says Law Students Need to Learn to Read Like Lawyers http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/researcher_says_law_students_need_to_learn_to_read_like_lawyers
Survey: Most Pre-Law Students Confident re Own Prospects, But Dubious About Others http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/survey_most_pre-law_students_confident_re_own_prospects_but_dubious_about_o

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Tax Law
Lawyers in 'Lower Upper Class' Begin Revolt with Goldman Case, Columnist Says
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyers_in_lower_upper_class_begin_revolt_with_goldman_case_columnist_says
Apr 22, 2010 7:00 am CDT

U.S. Supreme Court
Supreme Court Tells Debt-Collection Law Firm that Ignorance of Law Is No Excuse
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/supreme_court_tells_debt-collection_law_firm_that_ignorance_of_law_is_no_ex
Apr 21, 2010 11:52 am CDT

Plus:
Supreme Court Strikes Down Law Banning Animal Crush Videos, Cites First Amendment http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/supreme_court_strikes_down_law_banning_animal_crush_videos_cites_first_amen
First One @ One First: Fortune from Miscalculation http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/first_one_one_first_fortune_from_miscalculation1
Supreme Court Overturns 'Essentially Arbitrary' Attorney-Fee Boost of $4.5M http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/supreme_court_overturns_.5m_attorney-fee_boost_in_foster_care_case

ABA
Meet the ABA's New Executive Director, Jack L. Rives
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/meet_the_abas_new_executive_director_jack_l_rives
Apr 22, 2010 3:31 pm CDT

Criminal Justice
Lawyer Accused of Beating Client with a Baseball Bat Accepts Plea Deal
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_accused_of_beating_client_with_a_baseball_bat_accepts_plea_deal
Apr 20, 2010 8:18 am CDT

In-House Counsel
Former Gucci GC Questions the Fuss over His Inactive Status
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/former_gucci_gc_questions_the_fuss_over_his_inactive_status
Apr 20, 2010 11:44 am CDT

Legal Ethics
Lawyer in Hot Water for Helping Newspaper Reporter Write About Prison Sex
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_in_hot_water_for_helping_newspaper_reporter_write_about_prison_sex
Apr 19, 2010 4:11 pm CDT

Diversity
Multiple Women Make Partner at Some Firms, While Others Promote All-Male Classes
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/multiple_women_make_partner_at_some_firms_while_others_promote_all-male_cla
Apr 20, 2010 3:46 pm CDT

Careers
Lawyer Makes an Appearance Before Chief Justice--In Singing Mode
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_makes_an_appearance_before_chief_justicein_singing_mode
Apr 20, 2010 5:30 am CDT

Legal History
Transcript of OK Corral Gunfight Inquest Is Found in Ariz. Jail
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/transcript_of_ok_corral_gunfight_inquest_is_found_in_ariz._jail
Apr 21, 2010 7:45 pm CDT

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Who Is History's Top Lawyer or Judge?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/who_is_historys_top_lawyer_or_judge

This week, a commenter on a post about lawyer-ranking site Avvo noted that Abraham Lincoln has a listing on the Avvo site.

Lincoln, as a deceased lawyer, is not rated on Avvo's 1 to 10 scale. But seeing this profile -- apparently claimed from beyond the grave -- prompts us to ask you: Who do you think is history's top lawyer, and why? Naturally, he or she could still be alive -- and perhaps even rated by Avvo. But we encourage those who want to look back further in history to do so, and we encourage you to give shout-outs to lower-profile lawyers who you don't think should be forgotten by history.

Read the full question, then answer in the comments.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/who_is_historys_top_lawyer_or_judge/#comments

Read the answers to last week's question: Have You Thanked a Lawyer Today?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/have_you_thanked_a_lawyer_today/

Featured answer:

Posted by newt1989: "After a lengthy phone call with an in-house guy about all the ways certain litigation my client is involved with could affect his client, I sent him a follow-up e-mail, encouraging him to call with any further questions. In response, he wrote: 'Trust me, it was way better talking to you. To find someone who has any idea about where this might all end up is of some comfort. You're a tremendous asset to all of us who rely on your counsel. Thanks again! '

"Talk about a thanks from out of the blue; it really meant (and still means) a lot to me."

In The Magazine