PLEASE RESPOND: E-Vote Requested fro Criminal Jurisprudence & Practice Committee

Committee Members:

Due to our inability to reach a quorum for Fridayâs meeting of the Criminal Jurisprudence & Practice Committee, we are requesting a e-vote on motions made and supported at this meeting.

All voting members are asked to vote on each item and make any comments, by 12 noon on Monday, April 26, 2010.  This process requires a majority vote of a quorum of the committeeâs membership, meaning that at least 10 members must vote. Please send your votes by hitting reply all.

We request that if a member votes against the motion on the floor, that individual might also submit a rationale for the dissenting vote.  The committee can then decide if further discussion and an amending motion are needed.

Position Recommended for Assessments of Criminals Bill HB 5661:

Oppose the proposed legislation due to the committee foreseeing unintended consequences.

(1)       Support the position

(2)       Oppose the position

Position Recommended for Destruction of Fingerprint Records Bill HB 5995:

Support and amend the proposed legislation.

The committee supports the bill with an amendment allowing for the destruction of a juvenileâs fingerprints and arrest card if there is a legally authorized dismissal, with a non-public, law enforcement exception for the retention of the juvenileâs fingerprints and arrest card for any assaultive, criminal sexual conduct, delivery of a controlled substance or for an offense which would constitute a felony if committed by an adult.

The committee requests amendment to move Line 20 from Page 5 âSection 2(a)(1) of chapter XIIA of the probate code of 1939, 1939 PA 288, MCL 712a.2, or has had his or her alleged juvenile offense dismissed after successfully completing a period of probation.â as a new section 9(g).

(1)       Support the position

(2)       Oppose the position

Position Recommended for ADM File No. 2010-08 Proposal to Rescind Administrative Order No. 2003-7 and Adopt Administrative Order No. 2010-X (Caseflow Management Guidelines):

Support the proposed amendments.

(1)       Support the position

(2)       Oppose the position

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me. Thank you for your cooperation.

Carrie Sharlow

Administrative Assistant

Governmental Relations

State Bar of Michigan

Michael Franck Building

306 Townsend St., Lansing, MI  48933

Phone: 517/346-6317   Fax: 517/482-6248

Email: csharlow@mail.michbar.org

Consider the environment before printing.

E-mail / Fax Notice: The transmitted material is intended only for the use of the addressee. It may contain confidential, proprietary and / or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any review, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, in whole or in part, is prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail reply or by phone (800-968-1442), delete the communication and destroy any copies.

E-mail Warning: This e-mail was swept for computer viruses. However, we cannot guarantee that the integrity of this e-mail has been maintained in transmission and do not accept responsibility for the consequences of any virus contamination.