Lovells to Close Office; Charges Based On Innocent E-mails, Lawyer Says; Tasered Pregnant Mom Loses Case; Grenade on Atty's Door - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Peeps note: Today is the last day for readers to submit Peeps in Law dioramas for our online gallery. For details, click here: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/peeps_in_law_2010
See the dozens of entries already in this year's gallery: http://www.abajournal.com/gallery/peeps2010

Layoffs
Lovells to Shutter 20-Lawyer Chicago Office
Mar 30, 2010, 02:38 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lovells_to_shutter_20-lawyer_chicago_office

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

International Law
I Just E-Mailed a Friend, US Lawyer Charged in Dubai Corporate Info Case Tells ABA Journal
Mar 31, 2010, 07:31 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/i_just_e-mailed_a_friend_us_lawyer_charged_in_dubai_case_tells_aba_journal

Criminal Justice
9th Circuit Rules Against Tasered Pregnant Mom; Dissent Hits 'Off the Wall' Theory
Mar 29, 2010, 07:05 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/9th_circuit_rules_against_tasered_pregnant_mom_dissent_hits_off_the_wall_th

Criminal Justice
Fla. Lawyer Finds Grenade on His Office Doorknob
Mar 29, 2010, 06:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/fla._lawyer_finds_grenade_on_his_office_doorknob

Appellate Practice
After Fainting During 4th Cir. Hearing, Law Student Goes On to Make Great Argument
Mar 31, 2010, 03:42 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/after_fainting_during_4th_cir._hearing_law_student_goes_on_to_make_great_ar

Associates
'Cutting Edge' Tiered Associate Programs Identify Those with Partner Potential
Apr 1, 2010, 07:55 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/cutting_edge_tiered_associate_programs_identify_those_with_partner_potentia

Tort Law
Man Sues Neighbor Over Bad Vibes, Says She Must Turn Off Electronics
Mar 30, 2010, 01:47 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/man_sues_neighbor_over_bad_vibes_says_she_must_turn_off_wireless_electronic

U.S. Supreme Court
Supreme Court Says Lawyers Must Inform Clients of Deportation Risks
Mar 31, 2010, 09:50 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/supreme_court_rules_lawyers_bad_deportation_advice_can_violate_sixth_amendm

Law Schools
Md. Senate Wants Law School Clinic to Name Clients or Lose $250K in Funding
Mar 29, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/md._senate_wants_law_school_clinic_to_name_clients_or_lose_250k_in_funding

Law Firms
Lawyer Faces Employee Suit Alleging 'Extreme and Outrageous Voyeur Activities'
Mar 31, 2010, 06:39 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_faces_employee_suit_alleging_extreme_and_outrageous_voyeur_activitie

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What Was Your Most Grueling Year?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/what_was_your_most_grueling_year

We did a post last week about a former associate at Sedgwick Detert Moran & Arnold who was suing the firm over his firing. Alan Levy said in his suit that he was fired upon returning from a seven-month medical leave after a breakdown prompted in part by working at a "ferocious pace" and billing 3,000 hours in the year prior.

So what we want to ask you is: What has been your most grueling year since starting law school? Obviously, the number of hours billed is not the only possible metric. Was it a year you worked full time and went to law school with a family at home? Worked in spite of an illness? Had a difficult boss?

Read the full question, then answer in the comments.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/what_was_your_most_grueling_year/

Read the answers to last week's question: Who's More Equipped to Prompt Change: Clients or Lawyers?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/whos_more_equipped_to_prompt_change_clients_or_lawyers/

Featured answer:

Posted by Bossy Woman: "In my experience it's the clients' expectations, which are often created outside of our relationship.  For example, our move to electronic record retrieval and storage was in response to a client request.  I've also found that management's agenda isn't always supported by purchasing.  We created our own program, which delights the clients, and have reaped many side benefits in the long run."

In The Magazine