Re: Rieback Medical Legal Consultants, Inc. / FREE SUMMARY REVIEW AND VERDICT ANNOUNCEMENT

http://www.readyshare.com/Users/rmlc@medicalexpert-com/rmlc-sharp.jpg
Rieback Medical Legal Consultants, Inc.

772 NW 100th Terrace  Fort Lauderdale, FL 33324  Phone: 954-472-1825  Fax: 954-476-9457

April 7, 2010

It is my pleasure to again offer you five of my highly credentialed experts to assist me in reviewing your potential claims. There will be no fee to you for this review.

Please provide a short concise summary of your client’s medical history leading up to the medical mal practice incident. Please include age, diagnosis and outcome as well as your concerns.

After I receive your summary, I will forward it to the physician. He will send me his response which will be forwarded to you. Hopefully this will be helpful to you in deciding whether a case is worth further investigation. Please remember to put your contact information.

The five physicians who are available at this time:

  1. Internal Medicine/ Pulmonologist/ Hospitalist
  2. General/Trauma Surgeon
  3. ENT ( Otolaryngology )
  4. Hepatology
  5. *Plastic Surgery

*Attached below is a copy of an article published in the Staten Island Advance Newspaper discussing the Trial in which the Plastic Surgeon testifying on behalf of the plaintiff was provided by Rieback Medical Legal Consultants, Inc.  In this environment, many plastic surgeons are reluctant to testify on behalf of injured patients due to medical malpractice because of pressure by the Plastic Surgery Organizations. This plastic surgeon was willing to make a thoughtful and honest evaluation of this case and do the right thing and testify on behalf of Ms. Alaimo.

Staten Island Advance (NY)

March 11, 2010

Jury sticks it to breast doctor
Willowbrook woman who suffered multiple botched surgeries is awarded $3.5M civil judgment

JEFF HARRELL STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE

Maria Alaimo's ruined breasts are now worth millions.

Five members of a six-panel jury determined yesterday that Grasmere plastic surgeon Dr. Keith S. Berman botched a March 2003 breast-lift surgery that left Ms. Alaimo with four "double-bubble deformities" and awarded the 46-year-old Willowbrook mother of two $3.5 million in damages.

With the exception of a lone holdout who found the doctor was not at fault, the jurors gave Ms. Alaimo $1 million for pain and suffering since she went under Dr. Berman's knife on March 8, 2003, and $2.5 million for pain and suffering she will endure over the next 35 years.

The jury deliberated for nine hours Tuesday afternoon and yesterday morning before reaching their verdict and bringing the civil trial at state Supreme Court, St. George, to a close. They had spent more than a week listening to testimony from Dr. Berman, Ms. Alaimo and dueling expert witnesses.

Ms. Alaimo, who brought the $5 million lawsuit against Dr. Berman, sat stunned when the multimillion-dollar verdict was read.

"I really don't believe that's what (the jury) said," Ms. Alaimo exclaimed through a beaming smile outside the courtroom. "I was, like, thank God somebody actually believes me."

Dr. Berman, who works out of an office at 1050 Hylan Blvd., was not present in the courtroom for the verdict.

His attorney, Jerry Giardina, declined comment afterwards.

"I think the evidence was overwhelming, despite Dr.Berman's multiple efforts to confuse this jury and mislead this jury," said Ms. Alaimo's attorney, Michael J. Kuharski. "And I'm proud they were able to see through it."

Ms. Alaimo was referred to Dr. Berman through online My Choice Medical when she sought a breast-lift in 2003 at the age of 40, after giving birth twice and nursing both of her children.

During the first consultation session, Ms. Alaimo said Dr. Berman showed her a book of pictures depicting women with successful breast augmentation surgeries and told her, "You're going to look beautiful."

Ms. Alaimo maintained that Dr. Berman never consulted her on the risks involved prior to the surgery, and that she was given a 12-page disclaimer and consent package to sign as she was being "rushed" into the operating room on the morning of surgery.

Dr. Berman testified that he initially planned to perform a Level II breast lift procedure but shifted to a Level I procedure while Ms. Alaimo was on the operating table; he said he slipped the implant "into the only place it would fit."

The surgery left Ms. Alaimo with scarred and disfigured "double-bubble" breasts which, with two swollen bubbles one atop the other, gave her the appearance of having four breasts.

After two failed corrective procedures - the first by Dr. Berman and the second by Dr. Roger Mixter in Milwaukee, where she was sent all-expenses-paid by My Choice Medical - Ms. Alaimo said she sank into a deep depression that destroyed her 17-year marriage because she refused to undress in front of her husband.

After yesterday's verdict, Ms. Alaimo was breathing easier and talking excitedly about using the money to help her family.

"My kids are going to go to the nicest schools," said Ms. Alaimo, a former tanning salon owner who is now unemployed.

Her former husband, Dominic Alaimo, whom she divorced in 2004, was also in her post-verdict thoughts.

"For me, that would be the best thing to happen, for the family to get back together," she said. "I'm definitely going to say a lot of nice things to him ... in a nice way."

The verdict should serve as an encouragement to other victims of bad plastic surgeries, she said.

"It was a pretty tough trial to endure, to have people see pictures of my nude breasts," Ms. Alaimo said. "For (the jurors) to recognize this, they validated it for me - I do really have a problem and they validated it.

"I just hope there's somebody else out there that doesn't have to hide now," she added. "I hope this does give other women the courage to step forward to say something happened. They shouldn't have to hide behind the big scarves and the big turtlenecks."

Jeff Harrell covers courts for the Advance. He may be reached at harrell@siadvance.com.

Copyright, © All Rights Reserved.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me

at 954-472-1825.

Sincerely,

http://www.readyshare.com/Users/rmlc@medicalexpert-com/Ellen%20Signature2.jpg
Ellen Rieback