GCs Boost Resources at Firms' Expense; Associates Unprepared for Short 'Shelf Life'; Can Law Practice Trigger Stress Disorder? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Peeps note: Readers are invited to submit Peeps in Law dioramas featuring the marshmallowy treats in legal settings. Creators of the best two dioramas will get prizes! For details, click here: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/peeps_in_law_2010
See this year's first Peeps in Law submissions: http://www.abajournal.com/gallery/peeps2010

In-House Counsel
Changing Demands Have In-House Counsel Gaining Over Outside Firms, GCs Say
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/changing_demands_have_in-house_counsel_gaining_over_outside_firms_gcs_say
Mar 15, 2010 1:08 pm CDT

--------Advertisement---------
Tabs3 Presents: 12-BEST BILLING PRACTICES
See what 30+ years of working with
attorneys has taught us.

http://www.tabs3.com/12bestabae

------------------------------

Careers
Some Associates Unprepared for Short 'Shelf Life,' Recruiter Says
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/some_associates_unprepared_for_short_shelf_life_recruiter_says
Mar 16, 2010 7:39 am CDT

Work/Life Balance
Law Practice Can Trigger Stress Disorder, Says Attorney Who Now Works as Therapist
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_practice_can_trigger_stress_disorder_says_attorney_who_now_works_as_the
Mar 17, 2010 2:04 pm CDT

Business of Law
Chadbourne Bids Final Farewell to 11 Deferred Members of Class of 2009
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/chadbourne_bids_final_good-bye_to_11_deferred_members_of_class_of_2009
Mar 17, 2010 4:43 pm CDT

Constitutional Law
3rd Circuit Bars Child Porn Prosecution of Teen in Sexting Photo
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/3rd_circuit_bars_child_porn_prosecution_of_teen_in_sexting_photo
Mar 18, 2010 8:25 am CDT

Law Professors
Blog Offers Diagnosis for Harvard Law Prof's Mysterious Illness
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/blog_offers_diagnosis_for_harvard_law_profs_mysterious_illness
Mar 17, 2010 6:49 am CDT

Trials & Litigation
Judge in Prop 8 Trial Leaves Bench During Orrick Partner's Argument
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/judge_in_prop_8_trial_leaves_bench_during_orrick_partners_argument
Mar 17, 2010 9:53 am CDT

Legal Ethics
Ga. Supremes Want Tougher Sanction for Ex-Greenberg Traurig Associate
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/ga._supremes_wants_tougher_sanction_for_ex-greenberg_traurig_associate
Mar 16, 2010 6:43 am CDT

Law Firms
Lawyer's Defamation Suit Blames Wilmer Cutler for Loss of Temp Job
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyers_defamation_suit_blames_wilmer_cutler_for_loss_of_temp_job
Mar 17, 2010 7:31 am CDT

Legal Ethics
Judge Who Married Defendant to Alleged Victim, Midtrial, Is Taken Off Bench
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/judge_who_married_defendant_to_alleged_victim_mid-trial_Is_taken_off_bench
Mar 17, 2010 5:48 pm CDT

------------------------------

Question of the Week

How Many Hours Per Week Do You Telecommute?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/how_many_hours_per_week_do_you_telecommute

This week, Above the Law ran a blind item about a BigLaw partner who stated at a firm luncheon that he did not believe lawyers who said they were working from home; and if they are not in the office, he does not believe they were working.

The post conceded that in some cases, a supervisor may be making a correct observation: "To be fair to this face-wanting partner, we do know of a few associates for whom working from home means watching "True Blood" or playing Rock Band."

But then the reverse might be true: "Sometimes we're sitting at our computers at the office, but we're just playing Facebook's Lexulous. E-mails and memos exchanged seem like a better testament to work being performed."

Read the full question, then answer in the comments.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/how_many_hours_per_week_do_you_telecommute

Read the answers to last week's question: Sunday Bulletins & Hot Dog Carts, What Advertising Method Works for You?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/sunday_bulletins_hot_dog_carts_what_advertising_method_works_for_you

Featured answer:

Posted by Will: "Several years ago, I was at a conference where a state bar president was complaining about how tactless lawyer advertising is. He said, 'Before you know it, someone will put their 800 number on airbags.' I thought ... what a great idea."

In The Magazine