Starting a Law Practice: Your Monthly Mentor from ICLE

Title: Starting a Law Practice: Your Monthly Mentor from ICLE
Click to view this message in a browser

ICLE's Monthly Mentor
ABOUT US LOG IN SHOP ICLE SEMINAR CALENDAR
ICLE's Monthly Mentor | November 2011 Edition
This Month: Starting a Law Practice
FREE TOOLS AND TIPS to HELP YOU GET GOING
If you have already or are thinking about starting your own firm, you're not alone! For a variety of reasons, more attorneys are venturing out on their own, even in today's challenging economic climate. While running your own practice can be extremely rewarding, it takes more than just legal skills and entrepreneurial spirit. Get the tricks of the trade from ICLE's expert contributors who have been in your shoes and know what it takes to succeed. The materials in this newsletter will help you become an effective and productive law firm owner by illustrating how to get clients, establish your firm and its procedures, select technology that works, and gain confidence while meeting with clients.

TOOLS TO GET YOU STARTED

Get Your Practice Off the Ground
The nuts and bolts of opening up your practice can be daunting, even for those who have been practicing law for many years. This How-to-Kit will help you navigate the process of setting up your firm from start to finish. Use our checklists, sample policies, and forms to make sure all your bases are covered and establish office procedures that work for you.

Build a Successful Solo Practice
Hanging out your shingle can be intimidating, but these 10 Top Tips will help you meet the most common challenges head on! Get the secrets to managing your time, clients, money, and professional relationships with ease.

Use Technology to Your Advantage
Effective use of technology is the key to making your new practice not only survive, but thrive. From picking the right equipment and software to building a successful firm website, this webcast will give you the tools you need to succeed.

Make an Informed Decision
Deciding to start your own practice is a huge decision, and it deserves a good deal of thought. Use this chapter excerpt to make sure you weigh all of the important factors, from possible sources of business to start-up expenses to skill in your chosen practice area.
NEXT MONTH: Social Media
Mentor Corner
Learn from the Experience of ICLE's Expert Contributors

TOO BASIC TO ASK
Getting Clients Before You Even Have an Office

Contributor Daniel T. Geherin
Simon & Geherin PLLC
Ann Arbor

Daniel T. Geherin is an attorney at Simon & Geherin PLLC in Ann Arbor, MI. He specializes in criminal defense, juvenile delinquency, drunk driving defense, and driver license restoration cases.
I started my career in California, where I was a busy prosecutor with a reliable and steady government paycheck. However, when I moved back to Michigan to become a criminal defense attorney, I immediately realized I had no proven way of generating new clients. Sure, I attended every professional function I could, meeting plenty of potential attorney referral sources. But, if I wanted to build a practice—and put food on the table—I needed to find a way to get new clients to call me. This was especially problematic because I did not have office space, equipment, staff, or even a phone line. So, I did what every new lawyer reading this should do: I improvised, and I begged. Read More

WHAT I WISH I KNEW THEN
Looking at the Bigger Picture

Contributor Nancy M. Burger
Nancy M. Burger PLC
Ann Arbor

Nancy M. Burger has practiced as a solo practitioner in Ann Arbor since 1990. She specializes in the areas of real property and estate planning.
When I started my own firm, I remember being inundated by logistical questions about equipment and office space. I rarely had the time to step back and see how small day-to-day activities could affect my long-term success. Here are a few of my lessons learned.

1. Don't be afraid to ask for or offer help. Early in my career I was in court on a landlord-tenant issue and didn't have a clue how to file a particular form. Another local attorney must have seen the bewildered look on my face and assisted me. I will always remember her kindness, and I now try to offer the same courtesy to others. Don't be afraid to seek out a mentor for advice or encouragement, or simply call a more experienced attorney when you need help.

2. Be nice. It’s a simple, but critical concept. As an attorney and advocate, you need to get things done quickly and efficiently for your client. It takes no time at all to be pleasant along the way. A friendly attitude toward everyone, from court clerks, to secretaries, and even the janitor will take you far. Remember that every person you meet is a potential client—if you go out of your way to be nice, people will remember you.

3. Referrals are your lifeline! Join professional organizations outside of your profession, think creatively about other possible referral services, and ask around to find opportunities to get involved. After about ten years of practicing real estate law, I finally decided to join the Ann Arbor Area Board of Realtors as an "Affiliate" member. I attended meetings, joined committees, and taught continuing education seminars, and my referrals from Realtors increased dramatically. You should also ask other lawyers for referrals, pass out your cards, and talk about the services you provide. And most important, when you do get a referral, remember to send a "thank you" to the source—it makes a huge difference.

MORE FROM ICLE
BULLETIN BOARD
NEW LAWYERS DEAL
GIVE US A TRY
Representing the New Business Owner in Detroit
01/31/12, Detroit
New Lawyers attend for $50.
Select New Lawyers pricing and use coupon code NLRD50 at checkout. Offer expires 11/24/11.
> Learn More
NEW FROM ICLE
Bankruptcy Core Concepts Training
Starting December 2011
> Learn More
NEW LAWYERS SAVE BIG!
50% off Michigan Basic Practice Handbook
Use coupon code MBPH50 at checkout. Offer expires 11/24/11.
> Learn More
Links to free tools will remain active until 11/24/11.
ICLE provides these copyrighted materials to you, the new Michigan lawyer, for your own educational and law practice use. We hope you find them useful. Any commercial use or re-publication of these materials is strictly prohibited.

The Institute of Continuing Legal Education

© 2011 by The Institute of Continuing Legal Education
If you would like to opt out of this type of e-mail, edit your e-mail preferences.
If you do not wish to receive any future e-mail notices, unsubscribe and your name will be removed from the list.
Questions or comments? Please call ICLE toll-free at 877-229-4350, or reply to this e-mail.
ICLE, 1020 Greene St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1444, 734-764-0533.

Informz for iMIS