Volunteer attorney judges for a Thomas Cooley Law School moot court competition needed!

Greetings colleagues:

On November 19 and 20, 2011, the Thomas M. Cooley Law School will be hosting the regional rounds of the National Moot Court Competition. The NMCC is the nationâs oldest moot court competition and it is co-sponsored by the New York City Bar Association and the American College of Trial Lawyers. Students from eight schools in Michigan and Ohio will be competing for the honor of going to New York City in February 2012 to compete in the national finals.

This appeal highlights two legal issues. The first is a First Amendment freedom of speech issue regarding the standard that should be applied in deciding whether a school district has the authority to discipline students for internet speech that originates off-campus. The second is an electronic discovery issue that considers whether a court may issue an adverse inference instruction to the jury for spoliation of evidence where the spoliating party acted negligently and without any bad faith..

Donât worry if youâre not up on your First Amendment or spoliation law. The competition committee has provided a helpful bench memorandum that discusses the law and the arguments.

Please help us select which teams will be going to New York City by participating as a judge in the oral argument rounds of the competition. The oral argument rounds take place as follows:

Saturday, November 19, 2011:

9:30 a.m. Preliminary Round 1 â we need at least 21 judges

1:30 p.m. Preliminary Round 2 â we need at least 21 judges

Sunday, November 20, 2011:

8:30 a.m. Quarter-Final Round â we need at least 12 judges

11:30 a.m. Semi-Final Round (this is the round that decides which two teams will go to New York City) â we need at least 6 judges

2:00 p.m. Regional Championship Round â we need at least 7 judges.

Please contact Patti Pakkala, pakkalap@cooley.edu ( http://us.mc837.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=pakkalap@cooley.edu ) 517-371-5140, ext. 2131 to sign up to judge a round or two. We ask our judges to come in about 45 minutes before each round begins for a short meeting about judging criteria. Meals will be provided for our judges.

Many thanks for helping to judge the competition. We look forward to seeing you on the 19th and 20th.

Evelyn K. Calogero
Professor of Law
Thomas M. Cooley Law School
300 S. Capitol Ave.
P.O. Box 13038
Lansing, MI 48901
phone 517-371-5140, ext. 2606
fax: 517-334-5781

Heather K. Anderson
Sections and Committees Administrator
State Bar of Michigan
517-346-6414
handerson@mail.michbar.org

Consider the environment before printing.

E-mail / Fax Notice: The transmitted material is intended only for the use of the addressee. It may contain confidential, proprietary and / or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any review, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, in whole or in part, is prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail reply or by phone (800-968-1442), delete the communication and destroy any copies.

E-mail Warning: This e-mail was swept for computer viruses. However, we cannot guarantee that the integrity of this e-mail has been maintained in transmission and do not accept responsibility for the consequences of any virus contamination.