Fwd: Fw: NO. 4750: A NETTER ON THE VA SITUATION

--- Begin Message ---
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Widest possible dissemination.

Sent on the Sprint Now Network from my BlackBerryÂ

From: HWilfongJr@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 09:15:02 -0400 (EDT)
To: <henry.rhee@acepex.com>; <sharon.whittaker@ngc.com>; <gconrad@mbemag.com>; <debbie.ridgely@hhs.gov>; <carolmoseley@msn.com>; <nasi@qwest.net>; <Blkprez1@aol.com>; <eltonringsak@aol.com>; <saunders.lorraine@dol.gov>; <ron@aliron.com>; <john@jdgassociates.com>; <tmiller@4sew.com>; <cleveland.baker@sba.gov>; <tizoc.loza@ngc.com>; <sgsimmons@runbox.com>; <shirlee@talkaboutparenting.org>; <aslee16@gmail.com>; <warren@kshuttle.com>; <bklynmarinegirl@yahoo.com>; <pannir@horeb.com>; <tsweeney@asrc.com>; <jmccall@mbda.gov>; <mealdeal500@yahoo.com>; <Thomas.P.O'Neill@state.ma.us>; <elkcreekgravel@yahoo.com>; <wcarter@quantumassocinc.com>; <aholt@cemallc.com>; <SJones-Taylor@usaid.gov>; <louie@alternativecontracting.com>; <maggiebullard@att.net>
Subject: NO. 4750: A NETTER ON THE VA SITUATION

TO A SELECT FEW

WILFONG'S THOUGHT OF THE DAY:

OCTOBER 28, 2011

ISSUANCE NO. 4750: A NETTER ON THE VA SITUATIONâ..

One of our Netters, a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business (SDVOB) writes a great newsletter. We print his introductory remarks about the "VA Situation" because it sums it up so well.

With all this excellent writing out there, how can the White House miss what's going on over at VA?

Hank

VA's refusal to follow mandate of PL 109-461, Vets First Program and Aldevra GAO Ruling telling VA to follow the Law- "Vets First". Not going to give this one a day or two play and forget about it folks. I am asking that all of you raise some hell about this issue.

Let us go over the past week of information so we know what is what:

PL: 109-461 of Dec 22, 2006 - Provides Vets First Procurement Program for SDVOSBs and VOSBs at VA. Sets a 3% Goal for VOSBs and a 5% Goal for SDVOSDBs.

VA Office of Acquisition and Material Management Letter of June 19, 2007: Sent out to VA Contracting Officers stating that Vets First Contracting Program is to begin but is worded in a manner that allows for GSA FSS to be utilized ahead of Vets First. (In essence this Letter from VA Acquisition leadership killed Vets First...rather than implementing it as mandated. The Law is clear and so is its Spirit and Intent.)

Aldevra SDVOSB Protest Sustained by GAO, October 11, 2011. GAO concludes that "the execution in the FAR that permits agencies to award task and delivery orders under FSS without regard to government-wide small business programs-including SDVOSB set-aside program created by the 2003 statute (and implemented by FAR subpart 19.14)-does not govern, or apply to, the SDVOSB set-aside program created by the Veterans Benefits, Health Care, and Information Technology Act of 2006." (PL 109-461)

In other words folks...Vets First at VA must prevail and it is NOT trumped by GSA FSS Schedules. Vets First means just that Vets First...(provided of course, that two or more Vets are identified that can do the work at a reasonable cost.)

On October 17, 2011, Deputy Assistant Secretary for VA Acquisitions and Logistics, Jan R. Frye, releases a Memo to his acquisitions folks throughout VA, stating the following: âââVA determined this GAO recommendation, Aldevra, B-405271 and B-405524, dated October 11, 2011, shall not be followed. We expect this issue ultimately will be decided by the courts. Therefore, VA acquisition and procurement professionals are to continue using the Federal Supply Schedules Program, when necessary and appropriate. The GAO recommendation does not change how VA will acquire goods and services in support of its mission.â

Given the clear language in Mr. Fryeâs Memo it can be gathered that the implementation Memo disseminated to VAâs contracting community in June 19, 2007, did not fully implement PL 109-461, "Vets First", but rather, gave VA Contracts Officers the methodology to go around Vets First through GSA FSS schedules.

Folksâ."there are those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened"! Please join our Veterans community, especially our Veterans Small Business community in making our voices heard in Congress, at the White House, in our home towns, in the media, and all across Americaâbe one of those folks that Makes things happen!â :-)

For your use once again, are a variety of the documents (attached) that have been noted in this short commentary. Get involved folks...please! It is bad enough that our Veterans' earned benefits have been eroding year after year. Now we have a program and a Law that we have fought for and earned that is being disregarded by the very same organization (VA) that is entrusted to care for our Nationâs Veterans. Quite pathetic really, very pathetic and very sad.

Let us revisit some sacred words that are resident within PL 106-50 of August 17, 1999, âVeterans Entrepreneurship and Small Business Act of 1999.â

TITLE I â GENERAL PROVISIONS PL 106-50-AUG 17, 1999

Veterans Entrepreneurship and

Small Business Development Act of 1999

SEC. 101. FINDINGS. Congress finds the following:

(1) Veterans of the United States Armed Forces have been and continue to be vital to the small business enterprises of the United States.

(2) In serving the United States, veterans often faced great risks to preserve the American dream of freedom and prosperity.

(3) The United States has done too little to assist veterans, particularly service-disabled veterans, in playing a greater role in the economy of the United States by forming and expanding small business enterprises.

(4) Medical advances and new medical technologies have made it possible for service-disabled veterans to play a much more active role in the formation and expansion of small business enterprises in the United States.

(5) The United States must provide additional assistance and support to veterans to better equip them to form and expand small business enterprises, thereby enabling them to realize the American dream that they fought to protect.

Are the words above hollow? Who in our Government will step up to make sure the mandates of PL 109-461,Vets First Program as upheld by the GAO Ruling of the Aldevra Protest are fully adhered to, and a true Vets First Program becomes a reality at VA? Who within the leadership of our Country is going to help we Veterans make this a reality? Who is in Charge?

Whoever you are, where ever you areâmake yourself known and make it happen! Come year-end we will have thousands of our Troops returning to a country where Veterans' unemployment is twice that of the rest of the country. Those in political office talk about Veterans employment and Veterans welfare and rights and so forth and so on...let's stop the talking and do the walking! Make Vets First happen at VA...besides, it is the LAW. Enforce it please.

Prayers and blessings for you and your loved ones and for our very Dear Troops and their loved ones everywhere.

Best......Wayne

-the end-

So, now, what is the Administration gonna do about this âVA Situationâ. Are we VETS to suffer the continuing refusal of VA to comply with the law? Or will their Executive Branch superiors do something about it?

Comply with the damn Lawâ.

Will this be discussed on The Wilfong Hourâ.but of courseâ..

We've been doing the show for about 37 months, nowâ. come join us every Monday- at 1 PM ET

HEREâS THE CALL-IN NUMBERâ..

USA Toll-Free Access # : 1(712)580-7706
Dial in then press #2-then enter the conference code
Conference Code: 8010994#

See you in Washington, D.C. on November 10, 2011.

See you in Savannah, GA on December 1, 2011â

âOur ability to advocate is directly tied to your ability to agitate.â

Whyâ..Becauseâ.

The struggle continues, until we succeed-and we shall-YES WE CAN!!!!!

Henry T. Wilfong Jr., MBA, CPA
President, NASDB
Current or Former Positions:
Three-time Appointee of Governor and President Ronald Reagan
Pasadena, CA City Councilman
Associate Administrator for Minority Small Business/Capital Ownership Development, SBA
Member, National Council on Policy Review-Black Capitalism
Member, Presidential Task Force on International Private Enterprise
Member, California Council on Criminal Justice
Member, NASA Advisory Council
Chair, NASA Minority Business Resource Advisory Committee
Co-Chair, Unity Network and Black Republicans for Obama

Member, Savannah NAACP Economic Development Committee

--- End Message ---