Why Legal Secretaries Don't Like Working for Women; Slackers, Jerks Can Derail Performance by 40%; Spooky Halloween Lawsuits - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

The Top Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Women in the Law
Not One Legal Secretary Surveyed Preferred Working with Women Partners; Prof Offers Reasons Why
Oct 24, 2011, 07:39 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/not_one_legal_secretary_surveyed_preferred_working_with_women_lawyers_prof_/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Study Finds Disconnect Between Numbers and Narratives in Associate Job Reviews--But Only for Women
Oct 26, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/study_disconnect_number_ratings_narratives_associate_women_job_reviews/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Sign up for our FREE Daily Newsletter http://www.abajournal.com/stay_connected/newsletter/
------------------------------

Law Practice Management
Slackers and Jerks at Work Can Decrease Team Performance by Up to 40%, Study Finds
Oct 25, 2011, 07:43 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/slackers_and_jerks_at_work_can_decrease_team_performance_by_up_to_40_study_/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Trials & Litigation
Neighbors' Tombstones and Haunted Houses Scare Up Halloween Lawsuits
Oct 24, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/defamatory_tombstones_and_haunted_houses_spur_halloween_lawsuits/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: PETA to Cite 13th Amendment in Suit Challenging Killer Whale Captivity; Prof Sees Standing Problems
Oct 26, 2011, 08:47 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/peta_to_cite_13th_amendment_in_suit_challenging_killer_whale_captivity_prof/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Firms
Why New York Isn't No. 1: Associates in Dallas Get the Most Bang for Their Buck
Oct 27, 2011, 06:48 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/why_new_york_isnt_no._1_associates_in_dallas_get_the_most_bang_for_their_bu/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Matrimonial Firm Got Zip after Discussing Divorce Case with Both Spouses
Oct 26, 2011, 03:35 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/matrimonial_firm_got_zip_after_representing_both_spouses_however_briefly_in/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

The New Normal
Make or Buy in the Age of the Free-Agent Lawyer
Oct 26, 2011, 08:51 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/article/in-house_lawyers_make_or_buy/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Careers
Poll Finds Would-Be Law Students Are Getting the Message About Scarce Jobs
Oct 27, 2011, 07:22 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/poll_finds_would-be_law_students_are_getting_the_message_about_scarce_jobs/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Retired BigLaw Attorneys Embrace New Clients in People-Oriented Public Service Jobs
Oct 24, 2011, 03:00 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/retired_biglaw_attorneys_embrace_new_clients_in_people-oriented_public_serv/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Evidence
Judge OKs Law Student's Dying Declaration as Evidence, But Nixes MySpace Page Related to Defendant
Oct 24, 2011, 07:56 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/judge_oks_law_students_dying_declaration_as_evidence_but_nixes_myspace_page/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Judiciary
GOP Contenders Campaign Against the Federal Judiciary; One Candidate Wants to Ax the 9th Circuit
Oct 24, 2011, 11:58 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/gop_contenders_campaign_against_the_federal_judiciary_one_candidate_wants_t/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
John Yoo Praises Justice Thomas, Says His Ideas 'Set the Table for the Tea Party'
Oct 25, 2011, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/john_yoo_praises_justice_thomas_says_his_ideas_set_the_table_for_tea_party/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Op-Ed: Bork's Failed Supreme Court Nomination Spurred 'End of Civil Discourse in Politics'
Oct 25, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/borks_failed_supreme_court_nomination_spurred_end_of_civil_discourse_in_pol/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Health Law
Lawyer's Letter Bans Crusading Mom from Eight McDonald's Restaurants
Oct 27, 2011, 08:04 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyers_letter_bans_crusading_mom_from_eight_mcdonalds_restaurants/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

If You Could Create a Lawyer Superhero, What Would Be His / Her Name? Powers?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/if_you_could_create_a_lawyer_superhero_what_would_you_name_powers?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

For our November issue, we asked pop culture writer and comic book aficionado Jesse Thompson for his picks of the top 10 lawyers in comics.

Open this link to see the gallery. http://www.abajournal.com/gallery/LawyerComics

Picks include She-Hulk, Two-Face from "Batman" and some lesser-known illustrated lawyers.

So this week, we'd like to ask you: If you could create a lawyer superhero, what would you name him or her? What would his or her powers be? If you like, feel free to draw inspiration from the answers to a question of the week we asked years ago:

If you could be a bionic lawyer, what would be your strength?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/if_you_could_be_bionic_what_would_be_your_strength/

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: What Tasks--at Work or Home--Would You Outsource, If You Could? And What Would You Never Outsource?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/what_tasks--at_work_or_at_home--would_you_outsource_if_you_could

Featured answer:

Posted by Cali-Lawyer: "I outsource housekeeping, yard and pool maintenance, and some laundry. Why? Because I only have so much time and I'd really rather do something else with the time I have. I won't outsource cooking -- I love to cook.  I have no problem having someone else clean up after me!  Of things I don't currently outsource, I'd love to outsource bill-paying and record-keeping ... it is drudgery."

In The Magazine