From: Workman Maj Adam J
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 12:39
To: Robles Capt Benjamin A; Baehr Capt James S; Chapman Capt Arthur; Ivins Capt William D III; Blackwood 1stLt Matthew; Meyer Capt Aaron G; Carver Capt Cory A; Yin 1stLt Joshua
Cc: Gonzalez Sgt Johnny J; Wescott PFC Jonathan C
Subject: FW: 3D MAW SgtMaj Brief

A must read.

-----Original Message-----
From: Atterbury LtCol Paul H
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 10:05
To: Gehris Capt Bettina L; Kuhn Capt Timothy J; Marquez Capt Daniel A; Marshall Maj Meridith L; Schick Capt Jason S; Workman Maj Adam J
Cc: Baker Col John

SDCs,

Please read email traffic below and share with your respective teams in order to maintain SA on potential remarks by the 3rd MAW SgtMaj Anthony A. Spadaro. These remarks will probably be a catalyst for additional litigation or at least impact the voir dire conducted in some cases. Furthermore, I want each of you to help determine if other senior enlisted are conveying the same message on our bases and stations or within the MEF and its MSCs/MSEs.

These type of matters and issues need to brought to my attention ASAP. It is more efficient and effective for the RDC to engage SJAs on these types of issues. Furthermore, I can engage the CDC who is well positioned to shape and influence any engagement with senior judge advocates. Remember the CDC Policy Memo 6-11 (CCIRs) and if you have any matter that is close to those listed in the CDC Policy Memo, bring them to my attention. Colonel Betz was very receptive to this issue during a phone conversation we had yesterday.

Finally, note the tone of my email to Colonel Betz. The language in my email is designed to get the point across in a professional way. My word choice evidences that I am giving the Sergeant Major the benefit of the doubt -- just like we expect him and others to give our clients the benefits of the presumption of innocence and to not prejudge outcomes relative to administrative corrective actions. Furthermore, Major Marshall's email simply passes information without embellishment and editorial comment. Major Marshall did good work here.

Semper Fi,

Paul H. Atterbury
Lieutenant Colonel
U.S. Marine Corps Defense Services Organization
Regional Defense Counsel - Western Region
Office: (760) 725-3744; Cell:(858) 208-6497
Email: paul.atterbury@usmc.mil

Attorney Work Product and Privileged Communication

The information contained in this email and any attached work product(s) is privileged. If the reader of this email and any attached work product(s) is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any distribution of this email message and any attached work product(s), in any form, is prohibited. Do not intentionally or unintentionally subject yourself to prosecution by the U.S. Government. This work product is FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY and is exempt from mandatory disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the following United States Department of Defense (DoD) rules, regulations, and instructions: 5400.7R, "DoD Freedom of Information Act Program;" DoD Directive 5230.9, "Clearance of DoD Information for Public Release;" and DoD Instruction 5230.29, "Security and Policy Review of DoD Information for Public Release."