From Tim Corbett

October 17, 2011

Dear Haytham Faraj,

I sent you much of the data on October 7, 2011 and the last information that I had on October 10, 2011.  You had followed up and indicated that you needed time to read everything provided. Andrew has left a message for me indicating that you want a statement containing 3 things from him.  Those items include why he wanted to be in the Rotc (or what it means to him), discussion of his mother's cancer (and I guess its impact to him), and statement on taking responsibility of his performance (although I was not clear from his message what this meant).  Anyway, I know Andrew is working on the statement but it sounds that he may need more clarification. In addition, Andrew is not clear if he is to read his statement or present his case and paraphrase the statement.  Again, Andrew may need some clarification on this so that he can write a proper statement and prepare his testimony accordingly.  He said that he should have a rough draft today.

I am really not clear on the proceedings of the hearing.  I understand that it is at 10:00 AM on Thursday.  I am not clear as to whether you are allowed to speak or not on Andrew's behalf (per email from Lieutenant Colonel Krivda) or whether Andrew does all the speaking.  Can you clarify.  Andrew indicated to me that the hearing may be a couple hours or all day.  Can you clarify the time period.  Andrew said that he provided some witnesses and that you were going to call them.  I am not clear as to whether you are trying to get witnesses to testify at the hearing or whether you are just going to present written documents.  If they testify, do they just speak or is there a question and answer format?  Who addresses the witnesses (Andrew or you)? Is the other side (party trying to disenroll Andrew) present during this proceeding and do they ask questions of the witnesses?  For my statement, do I talk or read the statement or am I questioned on a stand?  Do you want to see my statement prior to Wednesday?  Andrew indicated that he provided some witnesses to you but you did not ask for all of them (contact information for his witnesses).  Since the witnesses are not required to be there, how do you get them to show up?

Andrew was not clear on when you would be in Santa Barbara.  Please clarify.  I am planning on being at the hearing and will be present during your planning with Andrew (as long as you do not think that I am in the way).  Can you let me know when I should plan on being in Santa Barbara for this.

I understand that you have a plan to win and that you do this all the time.  However, if there is anything that I can provide or any discussion that you would like to have with me (especially since I am familiar with the documents provided to you), please let me know.

Your answers to the questions above will help Andrew prepare and would help me plan my schedule accordingly.

Very truly yours,

Timothy J. Corbett