From: "David Benedek" <dbenedek@usuhs.mil>
Date: September 21, 2011 1:47:52 PM EDT
Subject: Re: Some info on the Burke case for the appt on Wed

Neal:

I have essentially completed my diagnostic assessment of your client and
I believe he has no current psychiatric diagnosis.

His behavior at the time of the alleged offenses is most consistant with
a substance induced dilirium--a transient alteration of
consciousness/disorientation/loss of reality testing--not infrequently
accompanied by amnesia for the events during the episode. Alcohol played
a primary role, sleep played a role in predisposing him to the effect of
alchol, and it is possible that dexedrine also contributed--although in
most folks, the dexedrine would have been metabolozed by the time of the
effents in question. However, it is possible that he is a slow
metabolizer and that its effects could have linered and been magnified
by the effects of sleep deprivation and alcohol.

I asked him to ask his father how he tolerated his one test-use of
dexedrine. He called his dad after our meeting and he says his father
told him it made him "angry and aggressive" to the point that he vowed
never to take it again.

If there is any genetic presdisposition to having weird side-effects
from dexedrine (e.g., like father like son) or the extent to which it is
common (or even uncommon) for sleep deprived otherwise intoxicarted with
alcohol to experience side-effects such as dilirrium as a result of
dexedrine use it would be very helpful to have a toxicologist or
clinical pharmacologist answer those questions. I can speculate but
better for an expert in these issues to comment.

Bottom line:

1) No other psych diagnosis that would increase risk of future behaviors
2) Likely contribution of sleep deprivation and potential contribution
of dexedrine to a state of dilirium that may also occur as a result of
acute alcoholic intoxication (but has apparently not previously occurred
in your client during periods where he has had the same amount of
alcohol and but htis has not been complicated by sleep deprivation
and/or dexedrine use).

Whether a panel will decide that is was reasonable foreseeable that
alcohol intoxication in the context of sleep derivation and relatively
recent use of dexedrine could lead to the behaviors for which the
accused is charged is an interesting question.

I will speak with his father and his wife to corroborate my own
observations and would like to talk to his supervisor if that is
possible.

Thx

Dave

David M. Benedek, M.D.
COL, MC, USA
Professor/Deputy Chair &
Assoc. Director/Senior Scientist,
Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress
Dept. of Psychiatry
USUHS

dbenedek@usuhs.mil
301-319-4944
Puckett Neal 09/20/11 11:58 AM >>>
That may be where YOU come in.

Neal A. Puckett, Esq
1800 Diagonal Rd, Suite 210
www.twitter.com/puckettfaraj

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential,
and is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If
you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby
notified that any use, distribution, copying of disclosure of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication
in error, please notify Puckett & Faraj, P.C. at 703-706-9566 or via a
return the e-mail to sender. You are required to purge this E-mail
immediately without reading or making any copy or distribution.