Uniform question

Neal,

Col Robert Shaw (Ret), one of our character witnesses, called the legal office and then was transferred to SSgt Dodd to ask if he could wear his military uniform to 1Lt Burke’s trial.  Below is what our AFI says on retired personnel wearing the uniform – no clear guidance.  I asked one of my senior colleagues and he believes it would be OK for him to wear his uniform.  I think it would be ok as well.  Do you agree?  Do we want him in uniform?  Let me know your thoughts and I’ll get the answer to him.

12.4. Retired Personnel.

12.4.1. Retirees may wear the authorized uniform prescribed at the date of member’s retirement or any of the uniforms authorized for current active duty personnel, including the dress uniforms. Do not mix uniforms.

12.4.2. Retirees who had an assignment prior to retirement that included command at squadron, group or wing level are authorized to wear the Command insignia pin on the left lapel.

12.4.3. If member’s last assignment prior to retirement was a First Sergeant and/or Command Chief, the member is authorized to wear appropriate chevrons in all instances the uniform is worn.

12.4.4. Retirees may wear the retired lapel pin on civilian attire. The retired lapel pin is placed on the left lapel. If member is authorized to wear the Command insignia pin, it is placed on the same side, below the retired lapel pin.

12.4.5. May wear full-size or miniature medals on civilian suits or equivalent dresses on appropriate occasions such as Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day.

12.4.6. May wear the uniform at occasions of military ceremonies.

12.4.7. May wear the uniform at military funerals, weddings, memorial services and inaugurals.

12.4.8. May wear the uniform at patriotic parades on national holidays, other military parades or ceremonies in which any active or Reserve U.S. Military unit is taking part.

12.4.9. May wear the uniform at educational institutions when engaged in giving military instructions or responsible for military discipline.

12.4.10. May wear the uniform at social or other functions when the invitation has been influenced by the member’s active military service.

12.4.11. May wear the uniform when traveling to or from any function listed above when travel is within 24 hours of the scheduled function.

12.4.12. Members of the reserve components who are eligible to retire but are not at mandatory age (60 years) do not wear the uniform while traveling on military aircraft.

Thanks,

Ranae

Ranae L. Doser-Pascual, Capt, USAF

AFLOA/JAJD Deputy Chief Policy and Training

Joint Base Andrews NAF, MD

DSN: 612-4792

COMM: 240-612-4792