30 Books Every Lawyer Should Read; Ginsburg Lists Perplexing Oral Argument Questions; Depo Fracas; Debt Ceiling Unconstitutional? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

The Top Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Law in Popular Culture
30 Lawyers Pick 30 Books Every Lawyer Should Read
Aug 1, 2011 4:00 AM CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/30_lawyers_pick_30_books_every_lawyer_should_read/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: John Grisham Wins First Harper Lee Prize for Legal Fiction
Jul 28, 2011, 11:21 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/john_grisham_wins_first_harper_lee_prize_for_legal_fiction/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Sign up for our FREE Daily Newsletter http://www.abajournal.com/stay_connected/newsletter/
------------------------------

U.S. Supreme Court
Justice Ginsburg Lists Term's Perplexing Oral Argument Questions
Jul 26, 2011, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/justice_ginsburg_lists_terms_perplexing_oral_argument_questions/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: ABA Urges Supreme Court to Find a Right to Effective Assistance in Plea Bargains
Jul 27, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/aba_urges_supreme_court_to_find_a_right_to_effective_assistance_in_plea_bar/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Trials & Litigation
Suit Claims Lawyer Broke His Wrist in Deposition Fracas with Drinker Biddle Partner
Jul 28, 2011, 09:26 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/suit_claims_lawyer_broke_his_wrist_in_deposition_fracas_with_drinker_biddle/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Constitutional Law
Law Profs Debate Whether 14th Amendment Makes Debt Ceiling Unconstitutional
Jul 25, 2011, 11:48 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/law_profs_debate_whether_14th_amendment_makes_debt_ceiling_unconstitutional/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Legal Ethics
Lawyer Accused of Harassing Employee, Asking Her to Wear Swimsuit to the Office
Jul 26, 2011, 01:33 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyer_accused_of_harassing_employee_asking_her_to_wear_swimsuit_to_the_off/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Careers
Quinn Emanuel Associates May Dress Casual, But Work in 'Winner-Take-All' Environment
Jul 26, 2011, 06:53 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/quinn_emanuel_associates_may_dress_casual_but_work_in_winner-take-all_envir/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Psychological Profiles of Addicts and Good Leaders May Be Similar
Jul 27, 2011, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/psychological_profiles_of_addicts_and_good_leaders_may_be_similar/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Lawyer Pay
Laterals or Law Grads? Being Cheaper and More Enthusiastic Has Its Benefits
Jul 28, 2011 11:13 AM CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/laterals_or_law_grads_being_cheaper_and_more_enthusiastic_has_its_benefits/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Civil Procedure
Scolded by Another Federal Judge, 'Birther' Lawyer Orly Taitz Blames Court Clerk for Bad Filing
Jul 26, 2011, 05:24 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/scolded_by_another_federal_judge_birther_attorney_orly_taitz_blames_court/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Schools
ABA's Legal Ed Section Approves Questionnaire Changes on Reporting of Graduates' Employment
Jul 27, 2011, 04:23 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/abas_legal_ed_section_approves_questionnaire_changes/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: For a Second Time, Widener Law Prof's Classroom Hypos Pass University Review
Jul 25, 2011, 07:33 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/for_a_second_time_widener_law_profs_classroom_hypos_pass_university_review/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

First Amendment
Jury Trial Planned re $445 Obscenity Ticket Issued Over Plastic Dangling Bull Privates
Jul 27, 2011, 06:37 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/jury_trial_planned_re_445_obscenity_ticket_issued_over_plastic_truck_testic/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

How Do You Commune with Nature?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/how_do_you_commune_with_nature?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

This week we noted a story about criminal justice lawyers in Ocean City, Md., who might be rivals during business hours but surf together in their downtime.

"You're sort of in a communion with nature," Wicomico County prosecutor Richard Brueckner told the Daily Times. "When you see all the surfers on boards, waiting for the surf, that's called the 'lineup.' We're talking to each other. The sun is coming up, the dolphins are going by."

And earlier this month, we blogged about a former Sidley Austin associate George Tyler Coulson, who left his job to walk from Delaware to California with his dog, Mabel, sleeping in a tent most of the way. Coulson credited Mabel with scaring off a bear.

So this week, we'd like to ask you: How do you commune with nature? Do you get out in the open water? Have you ever taken unpaid leave to hike a trail for hundreds of miles? Or do you think time spent without creature comforts and controlled temperatures is overrated?

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: Have You Ever Represented Yourself? Would You Ever?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/have_you_ever_represented_yourself_pro_se_would_you_ever/

Featured answer:

Posted by DLR: "I was given a ticket for going to wrong way on a one-way street. I didn't go the wrong way--I simply crossed the street on a diagonal. I felt the ticket was unfair, but my first instinct is to pay the ticket and forget about it--I am not a litigator, and I hate arguments except on behalf of my clients' tax issues. However, this one got to me.  So I bought some poster board and drew a schematic of the intersection. I was kind of excited to show up in traffic court, but the officer didn't appear, so my case was dismissed."

In The Magazine