Re: Expert assistance

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks

Norah

On Jun 1, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Haytham Faraj wrote:

Thank you for your prompt response.  Here’s the plan:
1.        Get you appointed and retained
2.       Get the evidence to you
3.       Report from you on whether you need to be there in person or not
4.       Based on your report, either continue with the trial schedule or continue to fit yours.

From: Norah Rudin [mailto:nrbiocom47@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Norah Rudin
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:56 PM
To: Haytham Faraj
Cc: Douglas, Laquisha S CPT MIL USA FORSCOM
Subject: Re: Expert assistance

Hi Haytham,

On Jun 1, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Haytham Faraj wrote:

Norah,
I hope you are well.  No sooner had I thought about you today then you sent me an email regarding the DC crime lab.
Good to hear from you.  I had just updated my mailing list and you were one of the names I added.

I have a new case in California that I may need your assistance on.  Would you send me your latest CV and schedule of fees.
Please see attached.

The trial is set for June 27.  My co-counsel –cc’d here- is filing a continuance motion to continue the trial until August 22.  That is my first availability. What does your schedule look like?
I am actually out of the country and completely unavailable June 13-22.  So good that is probably off the table.  My summer is further complicated by long-delayed rotator cuff surgery on July 28 that will affect my ability to travel for at least some weeks after that.  Certainly for a Military case where I have to plan for possibly being on site for an entire week, I will want to be a bit conservative, especially as will have some on going PT afterwords as well.

That said, I have a local trial scheduled for the week of Aug 22.  The Fall is also complicated by the Jewish holidays for me. (In particular the week of Sept 26)
If you are willing to work around my schedule, let me suggest the following weeks:

Oct 3 (I would need travel back on Friday morning)
Oct 10
Oct 24
Nov 14
Nov 28

Of course if you don't end up needing me to travel, it can be much more flexible.  I will be working from home almost immediately, it is just travel that will be impacted, in particular travel where I have to plan for the whole week. If it is just a few days, I can provide some earlier dates in Sept. as well. The ability to drive down, rather than fly is actually a plus as it negates the problem of dealing with luggage on airplanes.

I am attaching the DNA evidence I have from the Government’s discovery.  The case is in Fort Irwin.  I don’t have a USACIL report yet.  The issue here is an allegation of rape and whether there was consent. Saleh is the client.  It appears to be similar to the issues in Wacker without the threesome.
As per the same policy I mentioned during Wacker, I am going to put this information aside until I receive the electronic data. That way I can reanalyze it without any preconceptions prior to looking at USACILs conclusions and the case scenario.

I hope we can work out the dates as I would look forward to working with you again. Please be aware that my trial schedule is a moving target, so if the decision to continue is delayed, please check back for any scheduling updates.

Thanks,

Norah
PS - I don't know if you heard, but we had a very good result recently in the McDowell trial in 29 Palms.  Maj. Norman was able to get the USACIL analyst to admit to some results that were not in his report on cross.
(Dr.) Norah Rudin, Ph.D.
Forensic DNA Consultant
Main: 650 605-3411
650 Castro St., Ste. 120-404, Mountain View, CA  94041
Nature photos: http://www.norahrudin.com
Make a Small Loan, Make a Big Difference - Check out Kiva.org to Learn How!