Prof to Grads: 'Get Over' Entitlement; Law Hiring Up; Second-Tier Associates Satisfied?; Is Buxom Paralegal a Trial Distraction? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

The Top Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Law Professors
In Commencement Speech, Law Prof Tells Grads Coveting Big-Money Jobs to 'Get over It'
May 26, 2011, 07:15 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/in_commencement_speech_law_prof_tells_grads_coveting_big-money_jobs_to_get_/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Sign up for our FREE Daily Newsletter http://www.abajournal.com/stay_connected/newsletter/
------------------------------

Careers
Now Hiring: SEC Has Glut of Attorney Jobs, Turns to Recruiter for Help
May 24, 2011, 07:25 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/now_hiring_sec_has_glut_of_attorney_jobs_turns_to_recruiter_for_help/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Legal Hiring Continues to Improve in Some Areas; One Dallas Firm Seeks Up to 30 Lawyers
May 26, 2011, 06:26 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/legal_hiring_continues_to_improve_in_some_areas_one_dallas_firm_seeks_up_to/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Firms
Will Career Associate Programs Cause Resentment? At Orrick, Lawyers Cite the Benefits
May 24, 2011, 06:52 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/will_career_associate_programs_cause_resentment_at_orrick_lawyers_cite_the_/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Trials & Litigation
Motion Claims Buxom Woman with Opposing Counsel Is Intended as Jury Distraction
May 25, 2011, 07:13 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/motion_claims_buxom_woman_with_opposing_counsel_is_intended_as_jury_distrac/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
Supreme Court Upholds Calif. Prisoner Cap; Dissenter Scalia Hits 'Radical Injunction'
May 23, 2011, 09:26 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/supreme_court_upholds_cap_on_calif._prison_population_scalia_hits_radical_i/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Supreme Court Upholds Arizona Immigration Law; Chief Justice Is PC with Terminology
May 26, 2011, 09:35 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/supreme_court_upholds_arizona_law_punishing_businesses_for_hiring_illegal_i/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

The New Normal
Should a Firm Keep Its 'Crown Jewels' in the Vault, or Share Them with Clients?
May 23, 2011, 08:40 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/article/a_firms_crown_jewels_can_be_its_efficiency_rather_than_its_expertise/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Harper Lee Prize for Legal Fiction
Vote for the Best Legal Novel of the Year
May 26, 2011, 12:35 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/vote_for_the_best_legal_novel_of_the_year/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Students
Lawyer with $160K in School Debt Develops Student-Loan Practice Niche
May 26, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyer_with_160k_in_school_debt_develops_student-loan_practice_niche/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Entertainment & Sports Law
Judge Rules 'Hangover II' May Be Released, Despite Copyright Dispute over Tattoo
May 24, 2011, 10:44 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/judge_rules_hangover_ii_may_be_released_despite_copyright_dispute_over_tatt/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Women in the Law
Fewer Married Women Keeping Maiden Names; Consultant Sees Similar Pattern in Lawyers
May 23, 2011, 08:56 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/fewer_married_women_keeping_maiden_names_consultant_sees_similar_pattern_in/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What Legal Issues Have Your Clients--Or You and Fellow Troops--Encountered as Soldiers or Veterans?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/legal_issues_clients_you_troops_soldiers_veterans_memorial_day?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

Recently, the American Bar Association launched ABA Home Front, a website created to provide military service members and their families with information on a variety of legal issues. (ABA President Stephen Zack also talks about the ABA's three-year-old Military Pro Bono Project in his June column.) A number of readers commented on the ABAJournal.com post announcing the site -- many mentioning their own experiences with clients and saying in what practice areas they see a particular need for help.

So, as Memorial Day approaches, we'd like to ask you to enlighten our readers: What legal issues have your clients -- or you and your fellow troops, if you are or were in the military -- encountered as soldiers or veterans?

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: How Do You Deal with Persistent Phone Solicitors?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/how_do_you_deal_with_persistent_phone_solicitors/

Featured answer:

Posted by inhouse: "My most effective deterrent to date: One of those subscription services called and said we absolutely had to have their software in order to be completely up-to-date and OSHA compliant. I asked if it included such and such regulation and a certain state's equivalent to OSHA's regulations. There was a long, drawn-out silence on the other end, then a hesitant, 'Would you like to be removed from our call list?' How did you know? Thank you so much!"

In The Magazine