Firm Challenges Ban on Nonlawyer-Led Firms; Judges Threatened After Unlawful Entry Ruling; Alito: Oral Arguments Overrated - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

The Top Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Business of Law
Jacoby & Meyers Sues to Overturn Bans on Nonlawyer Ownership of Law Firms
May 19, 2011, 06:43 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/jacoby_meyers_sues_to_overturn_bans_on_nonlawyer_ownership_of_law_firms/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Constitutional Law
Indiana Supreme Court & Cops Get Death Threats, After Unlawful Entry Opinion
May 19, 2011, 12:09 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/indiana_supreme_courts_cops_get_death_threats_after_unlawful_entry_opinion/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Supreme Court Upholds Exigent-Circumstances Search of Apartment that Smelled of Pot
May 16, 2011, 09:45 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/supreme_court_upholds_exigent-circumstances_search_of_apartment_that_smelle/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
Think Oral Arguments Are Important? Think Again, Justice Alito Says
May 17, 2011, 06:15 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/think_oral_arguments_are_important_think_again_alito_says/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Justice Thomas: Critics Who Don't Read Opinions Have 'Disease of Illiteracy or Laziness'
May 18, 2011, 09:14 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/justice_thomas_cynics_often_dont_read_the_decisions_suffer_disease_of_illit/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Students
15-Year-Old College Grad Is Headed to Law School
May 18, 2011, 06:47 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/15-year-old_college_grad_prepares_for_law_school/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: 2Ls Have to Argue a Hypothetical in Pepper Hamilton's 'Hot Seat' Interviews
May 18, 2011, 07:52 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/2ls_have_to_argue_a_hypothetical_in_pepper_hamiltons_hot_seat_interviews/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Public Defenders
Michigan Public Defender System One of the Worst, ACLU Says
May 18, 2011, 01:50 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/michigan_pd_system_one_of_the_worst_says_aclu/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

ABA
ABA Launches Website to Help Military Families
May 17, 2011, 04:20 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/aba_launches_Website_to_help_military_families/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: ABA Tells Congress the Immigration System Is in Crisis, Needs More Resources
May 19, 2011, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/aba_tells_congress_the_immigration_system_is_in_crisis_needs_more_resources/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Evidence
IMF Chief May Claim Any Sex Was Consensual; Hotel Key Card Records Are Likely Evidence
May 18, 2011, 07:15 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/imf_chief_may_claim_any_sex_was_consensual_hotel_key_card_records_are_likel/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Legal Ethics
Ethics Complaint Targets Assistant AG for Using Grandma Ruse in Condo Investigation
May 19, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ethics_complaint_targets_assistant_ag_for_using_grandma_ruse_in_condo_inves/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Court Calls Lawyer's Conduct a 'Textbook Example of How Not to Operate a Law Office'
May 17, 2011, 07:28 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyers_conduct_is_textbook_example_of_how_not_to_operate_a_law_office_cour/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Judiciary
Republicans Block Obama Pick for 9th Circuit
May 19, 2011, 02:21 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/senate_blocks_liu_nomination/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Is the 6th Circuit the Nation's Most Dysfunctional Appeals Court?
May 17, 2011, 06:47 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/is_the_6th_circuit_the_nations_most_dysfunctional_appeals_court/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Trials & Litigation
Mom Sues Chuck E. Cheese's, Says Kids' Games Are Illegal Gambling Devices
May 16, 2011, 07:04 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/mom_sues_chuck_e._cheeses_says_kids_games_are_illegal_gambling_devices/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

How Do You Deal with Persistent Phone Solicitors?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/how_do_you_deal_with_persistent_phone_solicitors?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

In last week's column about starting a new law firm, Valorem Law Group founding member Patrick Lamb touched on having to deal with vendors and how to keep them from eating too much of one's time.

"I still get a call every month from some firm selling corporate artwork," he wrote. "No matter what I've tried, she still calls. So now I just tell her to tell me about her offerings, and then I put the phone down and keep working. After an hour or so, I look back at that line, and she's usually gone."

So this week, we'd like to ask you: How do you deal with persistent phone solicitors? Has a firm "no" ever done the trick? Or do you pay someone else to answer your phone for this reason?

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: Have You Ever Witnessed a Meltdown in Your Office or in Court? What Did You (Or the Judge) Do?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/have_you_ever_witnessed_a_meltdown_in_your_office_or_in_court_what_did_you/

Featured answer:

Posted by DeadHead: "I had just finished cross examination of the defendant's accountant in an adversarial action in U.S. Bankruptcy Court, and we took a break as it was mid-morning, with the defendant expected on the stand after the break. Upon return to the courtroom, the judge noticed that the defendant wasn't in the court, and upon inquiry was informed that: 'The defendant is locked in the bathroom and sobbing uncontrollably.' The defendant's wife was called to the courthouse and eventually talked him out, but the day was lost. (My client was very satisfied with the ultimate ruling.)"

In The Magazine