US Patent Attorney

Hi Carolynn, Haytham forwarded your Email about a friend of yours looking for a Patent Attorney.  This is the 4th request I've had in the last 3 months; two from my own company, one from my Dad and now this one via the Law Firm.  I've done some research because my Dad had called a Patent attorney that wanted $400 to do the initial review to see if the idea was already patented.  Since we live right next to the PTO, I thought that was silly to spend that money if I could figure out how to do the search in their library (or on line).  There are some great tools available and since your friend is in the military, I know he/she can make this happen too.

Please pass this on to him/her:

1. The PTO has excellent training online.  First step is identify the invention/idea under their classification system which then allows you to find out if anyone already has the idea patented.  I think attorneys charge lots of money for this.  The next step if it isn't patented is to draft up the claim and there are processes and procedures for that too.  At some point a patent attorney probably ought to review it before it is submitted so you don't loose the opportunity to patent your idea in the review process.  (They post the applications on line and then anyone with access to the web can see it and accomplish the paperwork correctly and beat you to it.).

Here's the training link:  http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/ido/ptdl/CBT/

2. From what I gather, patent attorneys have "fields" of patents they work - so one patent attorney may be focused on IT solutions while another does "farm equipment", etc...

3. Additionally, I have a friend who is an examiner at the PTO and I asked him about attorneys.  They are forbidden from identifying the attorneys and can only direct you to the listing on the PTO website.  Here's the link to the Patent Attorney registry on the PTO website:  https://oedci.uspto.gov/OEDCI/query.jsp

4. One of "Of Counsel" attorneys, Mark Zaid, who has worked around the DC area his entire attorney career sent the following:

In my experience there is rarely such a creature as a reasonably priced patent attorney, but have Carolyn contact a close friend of mine who is in the Tysons office of Hunton:

Jim Miner
jminer@hunton.com
7037147449

If its not something for him, presumably he can provide a referral.

Mark

Hopes this helps!  Have you checked USAJOBS for federal attorney jobs? Wishing you the best on the job hunt!

Marcy

Marcelyn Atwood
Marketing Associate

The Law Firm of Puckett & Faraj, PC
1800 Diagonal Road, Suite 210
Alexandria, VA 22314

703-706-9566 ; FAX 202-318-7652 ; marcy@puckettfaraj.com
Please View our Website:  www.puckettfaraj.com
The information contained in this electronic message is confidential, and is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, copying of disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify Puckett & Faraj, P.C. at 703-706-9566 or via a return the e-mail to sender.  You are required to purge this E-mail immediately without reading or making any copy or distribution.