Mag Predicts Which Firms Will Survive and Why; DA Fights Back in Courtroom Attack; Fake Firm Targets Lawyers in Scam - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

The Top Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Editor's Note: Know of someone remaking the practice at a trend-setting Top 250 firm? Legal Rebels 2011 Nominations are open. [http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/suggest_a_rebel]

Law Firms
Which Law Firms Will Prosper After the 'Hundred-Year Flood'?
May 5, 2011, 11:36 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/which_firms_will_prosper_after_the_hundred_year_flood/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: King & Spalding Loses a Second Client - NRA - over Dropped DOMA Defense
May 2, 2011, 08:57 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/king_spalding_loses_a_second_client_over_dropped_doma_defense/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Court Security
Blindsided in Courtroom Attack, DA Fights Back, Sends Convicted Murderer to Hospital
May 4, 2011, 12:51 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/blindsided_by_convicted_murderer_in_courtroom_attack_da_fights_back/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Business of Law
Scam Alert: Fake Law Firm Site Targeting Lawyers in Real Estate Scam Uses Actual Law Firm Info, Photos
May 5, 2011, 12:06 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/reports_fake_law_firm_site_targeting_attorneys_in_real_estate_scam_uses_rea/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Schools
Bait and Switch? Law Schools Gain in US News with Merit Scholarships Conditioned on High Grades
May 2, 2011, 07:34 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/bait_and_switch_law_schools_gain_in_us_news_with_merit_scholarships_conditi/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: US News: Law Schools Should Quit Blaming Us for Their Policies
May 5, 2011, 08:55 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/us_news_law_schools_should_quit_blaming_us_for_their_policies/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

ABA Journal Podcast
Big Sky Country to the Heartland: Teachers Get Kids to Care About Civics Despite Political Taboos
May 2, 2011, 09:02 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/podcast_monthly_episode_14/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Companion to: Flunking Civics: Why America's Kids Know So Little
http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/civics/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

International Law
Disclosure that Bin Laden Was Unarmed Has Critics Claiming a Violation of International Law
May 4, 2011, 06:35 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/disclosure_that_bin_laden_was_unarmed_has_critics_claiming_a_violation_of_i/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Did Waterboarding Help Find Bin Laden? Holder Unsure; Old-Fashioned Intel Played Big Role
May 4, 2011, 08:10 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/did_waterboarding_help_find_bin_laden_holder_unsure_old-fashioned_intel_pla/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

White-Collar Crime
Ex-Winston Partner Pleads in $19M Scheme; Gov't Says He Sought Law Firm Status, Not Personal Gain
May 2, 2011, 02:06 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ex-winston_partner_pleads_in_19m_scheme_govt_says/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
Dissenting in Water Rights Case, Justice Scalia Renames the People of Wyoming
May 4, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/dissenting_in_water_rights_case_justice_scalia_renames_the_people_of_wyomin/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Supreme Court Declines Appeal by Ex-Cheerleader Who Wouldn't Cheer Alleged Rapist
May 3, 2011, 01:17 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/supreme_court_declines_appeal_by_ex-cheerleader_who_wouldnt_cheer_alleged_r/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Firms
Silicon Valley Law Firms Hire More Associates and Hike Their Salaries
May 2, 2011, 12:21 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/silicon_valley_law_firms_hire_more_associates_and_hike_their_salaries/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Merger with 700-Lawyer Affiliate Gives DLA Piper World's Biggest Attorney Roster, About 4,200 Strong
May 2, 2011, 03:24 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/merger_with_700-lawyer_affiliate_gives_dla_piper_worlds_biggest/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Judiciary
Appeals Court Refuses to Remove Judge from Case for 'Screw You' Remark
May 5, 2011, 05:55 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/appeals_court_refuses_to_remove_judge_from_case_for_screw_you_remark/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Do You Ever Notice Copyright / Trademark Infringement? Does It Bother You?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/do_you_often_notice_copyright_trademark_infringement_does_it_bother_you?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

You're missing out if  you haven't visited Regretsy--a blog that for the last year or two has found humor in products sold, and how said products are sold, on Etsy.com, a Web store that features (allegedly) handmade and vintage goods. Among Regretsy's 30-some categories is Copyright Infringements, which points to alleged violations among Etsy sellers and sometimes notes if the sellers have been called out and, if so, how they handled it.

This intellectual property policing has us wondering: Do you often notice what you believe is copyright / trademark infringement? Does it bother you when you see it? Or do you think existing intellectual property laws are lagging behind the times?

Read the full question, then answer in the comments.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/do_you_often_notice_copyright_trademark_infringement_does_it_bother_you/

Read the answers to last week's question: "Bring Your 'A' Game, Readers: What Are the Most Annoying Business Cliches?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/bring_your_a_game_readers_what_are_the_most_annoying_business_cliches/

Featured answer:

Posted by The Schmave: "I was once on a business call with a client, and my family kept track of all the clichés I used unwittingly. After the call they all teased me: 'Well, you sure teed things up and got your ducks in a row. Too bad you were out of pocket or maybe you would have had a platform to move forward.' I've tried to cut down since then, but it's very hard not to talk like your clients."

In The Magazine