RE: Clemency ICO Capt Wacker

Haytham,

That is what I thought too. But it seems like Maj Schuller isn't planning to write one.

Our request should be one for "disapproval" of the finding of guilty on the sole specification. Clemency is somewhat of a nebulous term because it can be granted before or after approval/disapproval of the findings and sentence. If the CG disapproves the findings and the sentence, then there is no p. 13 entry in my OQR in regard to the court martial, which would obviously be better than an entry and then clemency.

I want to put the package together, but I need to know what I'm going up against from the SJA. If the SJA is of the mindset to just grant disapproval/clemency outright, then great. There is very little that needs to be done. If the SJA is going to write a more detailed justification as to what action the CG should take after a disapproval/clemency, then I need to come prepared with everything.

I have no problem agreeing to a NPLOC and a letter to USD. But if there is going to be an NJP, I need to know what the SJA's recommendation for action is. I'm past the 2 year statute of limitations on NJP, so there would have to be a PTA. I'm not inclined to do that at this point without knowing what the SJA is planning to do.

I almost feel as though I can submit a package for clemency now, and wait to see if the SJA is going to submit a letter on final action. If the CG grants clemency, then there it is done even before the SJA submits the letter. If the SJA is waiting for an authenticated record, I should still have 10 days under RCM 1105 to submit additional matters to the CG if he didn't grant clemency on my grounds and waited for the SJA's recommendation.

Let me know what you think.

S/F

Doug

Douglas S. Wacker
Captain, USMC
Future Operations Officer
MWHS-3, 3D MAW
douglas.wacker@usmc.mil
Wk: 858-577-6730
DSN: 267-6730
Cell: 858-401-9392

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." ~George S. Patton