RE: ICO US v Wacker

Good Morning Sir,

At the outset, I think this issue is probably better resolved through an 802 conference at minimum. There is a lot in the last couple of defense emails that I would like to respond to, but I don't want this email exchange to turn into a de facto off the record motions hearing. I will note two things, however:

(1) The issue here is not whether the witness is required to speak to the government. The issue is whether the defense may intentionally prevent the government from interviewing likely defense witnesses, who will give testimony on a complex subject, until the middle of trial, even after the court-ordered deadline for witness lists has come and gone.

(2) The case law on this subject is unambiguous:
"An expert may be of assistance to the defense in two ways. The first is as a witness to testify at trial. When serving in this capacity, he properly may be interviewed by the prosecutor. Indeed, even if the defense expert is a physician, he is subject to pretrial interview by trial counsel, because the Military Rules of Evidence recognize no categorical physician-patient privilege." US v. Turner, 28 MJ 487, 488 (CMA 1989). "If defense counsel also planned to use Major Gere as a witness, trial counsel could properly have interviewed him as to the matters about which he would testify." Id at 489, fn 3.
"By contrast, an expert witness may be called by either party or by the court. The expert witness testifies at trial and may be interviewed beforehand by both parties." United States v. Langston, 32 M.J. 894 (AFCMR 1991).

Very Respectfully,
Captain Evan S. Day
Judge Advocate
Joint Law Center
3D MAW/MCAS Miramar
P.O. Box 452013
San Diego, CA 92145-2013
Comm: (858) 577-1862
DSN: 267-1862
evan.s.day@usmc.mil

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED//LIMDIS
This e-mail is FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY and is exempt from mandatory disclosure under FOIA. DoD 5400.7R, "DoD Freedom of Information Act Program", DoD Directive 5230.9, "Clearance of DoD Information for Public Release", and DoD Instruction 5230.29,  and "Security and Policy Review of DoD Information for Public Release".
ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION OR ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT. The information contained in this message is privileged. It is intended only to be read by the individual or entity addressed or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any distribution of this message, in any form, is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.