From: Danielle Reier [mailto:dreier@altalang.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 2:08 PM
To: Michael Dodd
Subject: RE: Language testing / certification

Mike,

These are great questions. Let me address them one-by-one:

We are looking at several Dept of State contracts that call for Level I, II & III proficiency. Is the proficiency test ALTA uses to determine that level approved by DoS or provided by them for field testing??

Up to this point, ALTA has not had any direct contact with, and does not provide any testing or score reports directly to the DoS. However, we have provided testing to the DoS through a third-party organization that sources contract linguists. The testing was for positions with the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad and at least one other position, which we were told was through a DoS contract. Prior to conducting the testing, ALTA encouraged this organization to seek direct approval from the Department. To our knowledge the testing was approved, however I cannot say this for certain.

Is the test you provide different from another vendor to determine proficiency?

This is a “yes and no” question. ALTA’s testing does adhere to standards within the language testing industry; however the testing methodology and the questions/requests for response will differ from one vendor to another. As an example, some vendors utilize a guided interview approach to the oral testing, which allows the rater to adapt subsequent questions to be easier or more difficult based on a candidate’s response to a previous question. ALTA chooses to use a structured approach whereby the questions are randomly generated from twelve distinct pools of questions (each pool is designed to elicit a different linguistic task), giving every candidate an opportunity to respond to a wide scope of questions and demonstrate to what point he or she can use oral skills in multiple situations.

…For example - if the contract calls for level II proficiency, does that mean that candidate should be able to comprehend instruction in their non native tongue? That is classes taught solely in non native tongue, say 8 hours per day. Or, if they are level II, do we need to ensure our client (the Gov) understands that their instruction will be in their native tongue so the understanding & retention of information is there.

You would need to consider the criteria that they are using to define the proficiency levels, and compare that to the course content to determine if the candidate can comprehend instruction. Basically, you need to establish alignment. For instance, if the definition of level II implies that the candidate has the level of proficiency necessary to participate in conversations on topics of routine or general scope, and the course topics are within that scope of comprehension, then a candidate at that level should be able to keep pace with the class (obviously there will be progression taking the candidate outside of that scope). As to the class being taught in the non native tongue, immersion-based instruction is pretty standard and might even be expected by the client. I know the Defense Language Institute uses full immersion, and candidates at any level should be able to sustain 8-hour immersion classes, from very basic to advanced learners. With repetition and guidance by the instructor, a candidate will eventually catch onto what is being asked of them and will learn to think and respond in the target language in a natural way - without resorting to translating from their native language.

Without looking at the criteria, I’m sure you’re right about it being subjective and open to interpretation. There is always an element of subjectivity anywhere language testing and training are concerned.

Finally - what is ALTA pricing model to test 300 candidates?

The price per test for speaking and listening is $50. A toll-free number for the testing call is provided free of charge. The price per reading/writing test is also $50. Depending on what skills you need to test, you may want to administer one before the other to make testing even more cost-effective. For instance, if a candidate does not meet the level II requirements for speaking and listening, you may not need to test reading/writing abilities.

Hope this helps – feel free to contact me for any further info.

Danielle Reier

Director, Sales and Marketing

ALTA Language Services, Inc.

404-260-5500