Profit Generating Ideas!

Solomon Bruce Consulting
 February 2011
Welcome to Solomon Bruce Consulting

Dear Puckett,

Well, January has already come and gone!  Where did it go?   One month has already transpired-- does not seem possible, right?  As you review where your business is currently operating, many of our clients are exploring new technological advances to improve efficiency and organization.  The tablet computers are becoming very popular in many industries.  Increased efficiency, reduced errors and improved profits are all results of new information technology advances.

 With Verizon introducing the IPhone to its customers this month, we'll see how that works.  The Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last month introduced many new handy "gadgets" for business owners.  Think about making your job easier with a "gadget!"
Documented Procedures Save Headaches
    An insurance agent was telling me a story the other day that is germane to your business.  We were talking about operations procedures.  The insurance agent said that clearly documented business operations  procedures for all of your activities make handling a  liability claim much easier to process, if indeed someone wishes to sue you for negligence.  If you have clearly documented and delineated procedures, your employees and staff members should have less difficulty in making errors and a better understanding of the various facets of their job.
   We suggest to our clients that every process in the firm have a documented protocol developed.  For small firms, you may think that this is overkill, however, the converse is true!  Having procedures well documented insures that everyone knows how to perform each task.  Additionally, if someone is absent, others can step in and perform they task consistent with how you normally expect it to be handled.
    Documented procedures also allows new employees to "get up to speed" faster because they can read, review and understand what is expected of them.  If you don't have a documented procedures manual, now is the time to beginning developing such a document.

Rewards in Non-Profit Board Service
   Serving on a non-profit board can be a very pleasurable and important function to serve in your community.  Additionally, the number of new contacts you make can become invaluable in new business development.
    There is a non-profit board or function for almost everything.  Rotary, Lioins, Kiwanis, The Friends of the Library, Museum, Train Depot, etc all have non profit boards where they continue to seek active, dynamic board members who can bring their business experience to bear on the organizational issues.  For many social service agencies, your business experience is highly valued because most social service agencies have different skills than those of business people.
    If you decide to become a non profit board member, find an organization or board with which you have passion for the enterprise.  It makes no difference what the cause is, if you are passionate about it, you will become more invested and involved.  You will want the organization to succeed.  The executive director will want your input and ideas to help move the move the organization forward.
     Many companies have policies which provide for public service non profit board membership.  I am familiar with some companies which require you to do so much community service each year.  This is a part of the employee evaluation process.
    Think abou it!  Get involved.  You community needs you--- and you need your community!

Volume 2 Number 2
In This Issue
Documented Procedures Save Headaches
Rewards in Non-Profit Board Service
Your Business Plan

Your Business  Plan

    Your business plan provides the strategic direction for your business.  If you are operating a business without a business plan, you are probably struggling where you don't need to be.

   The business plan identifies your objectives, strategies and plans on how to grow, what products or services you will carry and when you will change or increase operations.

    Business Plan  development is not a trivial exercise, however, it is not like "brain surgery" either.  There are many free templates which will  provide you with a good starting solution.

   Now is an ideal time to develop the business plan if you do not have one.  If you do have one, reiview it to see that you are following the plan.  The business plan is your compass to business growth.

Join Our Mailing List
This email was sent to haytham@puckettfaraj.com by jbm@solomonbruce.com |
Solomon Bruce Consulting | P.O. Box 866 | Billings | MT | 59103