Jobless Law Review Editor Blames Book Author, Gets Job Help; Will Howrey Sink, Swim or Merge?; Cleveland Solo Gets SCOTUS Win - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

The Top Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Editor's Note: We are now sending the e-mail newsletter from a new domain/e-mail address: abajournalereport@americanbar.org. Please be sure to add this new address to your safe sender lists to ensure you continue to receive our newsletters without interruption.

Careers
Unemployed Editor-in-Chief of Chicago-Kent Law Review Blames Book Author, Gets Job-Hunt Help
Jan 24, 2011, 05:11 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/unemployed_editor-in-chief_of_chicago-kent_law_review_blames_book_author?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Law Firms
As Howrey Profits Plummet, Partner Says 'We'll Take a Torpedo or Two' But Likely Won't Sink
Jan 24, 2011, 02:14 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/howrey?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Are Winston and Howrey Talking About a Merger After All?
Jan 26, 2011, 08:02 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/are_winston_and_howrey_talking_about_a_merger_after_all?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
Cleveland Solo Gets a Supreme Court Win; Ex-Prisoner's $625K Award Is Reinstated
Jan 24, 2011, 11:17 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/cleveland_solo_gets_a_supreme_court_win_ex-prisoners_625k_award_is_reinstat?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Six Justices Show Up for State of the Union, as Obama 'Gently' Hits Lawyers
Jan 26, 2011, 06:31 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/six_justices_show_up_for_state_of_the_union_as_obama_gently_hits_lawyers?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

The New Normal
Law Is Both a Profession and a Business--Forget That at Your Own Peril
Jan 27, 2011, 08:34 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/article/law_is_both_a_profession_and_a_business--forget_that_at_your_own_peril?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: As Clients Shift Work, How Do We Deal with This Change Thing?
Jan 24, 2011, 08:02 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/article/as_clients_shift_work_how_do_we_deal_with_this_change_thing?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Legal Ethics
Law Grad Passes NH Bar on 8th Try, Then Is Denied License on Character & Fitness Grounds
Jan 26, 2011, 12:32 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_grad_passes_n.h._bar_on_8th_try_then_is_denied_admission_on_character_f?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Tax Law
Justice Thomas Accused of Failing to Report $686K in Wife's Income
Jan 24, 2011, 06:00 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/justice_thomas_accused_of_failing_to_report_686k_in_wifes_income?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Justice Thomas Cites 'Misunderstanding of the Filing Instructions' for Disclosure Error
Jan 25, 2011, 06:16 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/justice_thomas_cites_misunderstanding_of_the_filing_instructions_for_disclo?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Labor & Employment
Chicago Fan Wears Packers Tie to Work on Monday and Is Fired
Jan 25, 2011, 07:39 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/chicago_fan_wears_packers_tie_to_work_on_monday_and_is_fired?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Judiciary
Convicted of Drunken Driving, Md. Judge Must Take Daily Breath Test Before Hearing Cases
Jan 25, 2011, 06:08 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/convicted_of_drunk_driving_md._judge_must_take_daily_breath_test_before_hea?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Mergers & Acquisitions
DLA Piper to Become World's Largest Law Firm with Australian Merger
Jan 27, 2011, 08:41 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/dla_piper_to_become_worlds_largest_law_firm_with_australian_merger?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Judiciary
Judge Posner Confesses He Was Unable to Master the Hated Bluebook While at Harvard Law School
Jan 27, 2011, 05:30 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/judge_posner_confesses_he_was_unable_to_master_the_bluebook_at_harvard_law?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Can Document Review Work Help You Grow as a Lawyer?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/can_document_review_work_help_you_grow_as_a_lawyer?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

News got out this week that Wilmerhale is looking to hire 40 new law graduates for legal discovery work, aka document review. And we also discovered this week that Thomson Reuters is looking to staff a document review center in Michigan.

There's arguably a stigma that can be attached to taking document review job, but it's work that even a new associate at a large law firm might have to do, like it or not.

In a blog post at Not Guilty last month, solo practitioner Mirriam Seddiq wrote about the time she spent doing document review on a contract basis. "At first you think, I'll do this job and look for something else, or volunteer, or take on a traffic case or two," she wrote. "But you don't. You sit your ass in that cubicle and hit shift F5 and before you know it a year has passed and while you have amassed no late fees on your credit cards and no overdraft fees on your bank account, you have also amassed no new skills. You have made money at the expense of making money in the future. ... There is no actual lawyering involved in document review. I repeat. You are not practicing law."

Later, in a post at Lawdable, Shawn DeHaven, an attorney at Brentwood, Tenn.-based Counsel on Call took issue with Seddiq's post. "I can only infer from the author that if one is not a litigator, they should not be called a lawyer."

DeHaven goes on to say: "On each discovery project I've worked on I have been moved from regular reviewer to the quality control team because I identified ways in which the process could be improved through the use of technology. The full use of these tools allows the process to be a puzzle, a game of sorts and a challenge--every day is a little bit different than the last. It is challenging to learn about new technologies and shortcuts and how they can assist the process. To me, this is fun."

So this week we'd like to ask: Do you think document review work can help you grow as a lawyer? Or is it nothing more than a relatively low-stress way to use a law degree to pay the bills?

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: Is an Emotional Outburst at the Office Ever OK?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/is_an_emotional_outburst_at_the_office_ever_ok/

Featured answer:

Posted by Flip: "I'm a guy, and I've cried twice within the last few years in an office with my boss. Once when I was telling him that I was getting a divorce, and once when I was considering quitting because a partner I was working with was literally ruining my life. I don't regret either instance. Honest emotion is what it is. I can't help being a human being."

In The Magazine