RE: (Cynowa v. CSSS) Complete correspondence between RDDA and VA counsel and Plaintiff

Haytham:

The VA has taken the position that since Piper was a VA employee at the time of the events that gave rise to this litigation and thus any questioning related thereto affects the VA’s interests.  And, more importantly, the VA has made it clear that current VA employees cannot be contacted unless granted permission to do so by the VA Counsel’s Office.

As the correspondence shows, we did request to interview and/or depose various VA employees regarding the events in question, including Neil Piper, largely using the information contained in Plaintiff’s previous discovery responses and our own understanding of the facts.  However, even using Plaintiff’s own language in some cases, the VA denied our request. It is our expectation that the VA would have a similar reaction to Plaintiff’s requests.  The main effect of the January 19th letter from VA Counsel is to “punt” the issue of Neil Piper to another Office of Regional Counsel.  We will contact this other office, and have already placed a voicemail and email requesting contact information relating thereto.  Our main goal is simply to ensure that Plaintiff’s request is denied in the same fashion as we were denied previously.

In addition, despite Plaintiff’s claims in his recent January 5th VA request that “Piper is believed to have spoken with and exchange emails with CSSS managers/employees regarding the reasons Chris Cynowa was terminated from CSSS, exchanged emails from CSSS managers/employees and that Chris was allegedly dangerous and/or possessed some form of a weapon/gun and/or AK-47,” it is important to note that there is no current claim based on any of these statements or evidence.  This testimony may be relevant to countering our defense of qualified privilege, but it certainly does not and cannot provide a basis for relief as an additional defamatory statement.  To the extent Plaintiff attempts to use this as an additional basis for relief, we have already planned to draft a motion in limine barring such statements/evidence and limiting Plaintiff only to those specific allegations in his complaint.  In fact, Plaintiff does not even disclose this Piper testimony when asked, for each allegedly defamatory statement, to list the precise words and their supposed publisher.  (See Plaintiff’s Answer to Defendants’ First Set of Interrogatories, at 4-5, Answers to No. 7; Defendants’ Third Amended Response to Defendants’ First Set of Interrogatories, at 7-8, Answers to No. 7.)

Nevertheless, we plan to contact this other Office of Regional Counsel to see if Plaintiff has contacted them and what their position is as it relates to interviews and/or evidence depositions of Mr. Piper.

Regards,

John E. Murray, Esq.

Associate Attorney

Rachlis Durham Duff & Adler, LLC

542 South Dearborn Street, Suite 900

Chicago, IL 60605

Office: (312) 733-3950

Direct: (312) 275-0338

Mobile: (810) 824-7197

Fax: (312) 733-3952

Email: jmurray@rddlaw.net

Firm website: www.rddlaw.net

RACHLIS DURHAM DUFF & ADLER, LLC E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This transmission may be: (1) subject to the Attorney-Client Privilege, (2) an attorney work product, or (3) strictly confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you may not disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information. If you have received this in error, please reply and notify the sender (only) and delete the message. Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a violation of federal criminal law.