Seal the deal

Because Freedom Can't Protect Itself
Dear Haytham,

Tell Governor Quinn to repeal the death penalty.

Randy Steidl is one of twenty men who've been exonerated and released from Illinois' death row in recent years. Last Tuesday, he and I sat just a few feet apart when the Illinois Senate passed Senate Bill 3539 — repealing the state's irretrievably broken death penalty system.

Every email, every visit with a legislator, every phone call by Illinois ACLU members and supporters contributed to the victory in the General Assembly. Now, your voice can make the difference in shutting down Illinois' broken death penalty for good.

Tell Illinois Governor Quinn to seal the deal: repeal the state's unjust and unworkable death penalty.

We have cleared high hurdles in convincing a majority of the Illinois House and the Illinois Senate to support the bill. But the job isn't finished. We need to make sure that Illinois Governor Pat Quinn signs Senate Bill 3539 into law, because, if we succeed, this will be more than a victory for Illinois — it will also be a catalyst for justice across the nation.

Help us gather signatures from 50,000 members and supporters all across the country. We'll deliver this statement of support to his office next week.

As I witnessed the State Senate pass this milestone for justice and the rule of law, I have never been so proud to be part of the ACLU, so proud of our work and so proud of our supporters. Help us achieve a victory for justice in Illinois — and across the country.

Tell Governor Quinn to seal the deal: end the death penalty in Illinois.

With your help, we can finish the job and make history.

Thanks for getting involved,

Edwin C. Yohnka
Director of Communications and Public Policy, ACLU-IL

© ACLU, 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004

Unsubscribe from receiving email, or change your email preferences.