RE: pro bono inquiry

Forwarding to Haytham Faraj; I know he has an office in DC, don't know if they do pro bono or NDRB...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie McCall [mailto:jamie.m.mccall@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 10:01
To: Jed Fitch; Justin Constantine; Jennifer LWoodmansee; Max Nuyen; Brian Bouffard; Brian Cooke; Colby Vokey; Cory Weck; David Ashe; Derek Diaz; Douglas Gardner; Fred Shepherd; George Donnini; James Weirick; Jason Mills; Jay E. Town; Joe Schrantz; Melissa Epstein; Michelle Jennings; Hudspeth LtCol Nicole K; robert.kilmartin@usdoj.gov; Scott Bielicki; Todd Romano; W Anders Folk; david.ashe@providencedane.com; mike.cardoza@providencedane.com; Lee Thweatt; Lee Thweatt
Subject: pro bono inquiry

Question for the group...I work with with a wonderful lady at the U.S. Attorney's office in Miami:  she is the Gunny of our section - she makes it happen, keeps everyone straight, and we couldn't survive without her.  Her son was discharged from the Marine Corps in 2005 while at SOI (Camp Lejeune) under GUH conditions...you know the story: 18 year old kid, struggled with the training, got on the wrong side of the Command, etc....  In any event, in the intervening years he has gone back to school, become a medical technician, and is now trying to enter the Customs and Border Protection Agency.  He wants to clear up his record and recently applied to the NDRB to upgrade his discharge.  The NDRB granted his request for a personal appearance and is in the process of setting a hearing date.  The family doesn't have much money and is trying to find an organization that might handle his case pro bono.  They are contacting the American Legion, but I thought it might be worth a shot to ask the group if anyone knows (or can recommend) non-profit organizations or lawyers that assist people with NDRB hearings (particularly those folks in D.C.) on a pro bono basis...anything would be appreciated!

Semper Fi,
Jamie