Defending Your Rights in the New Year: News from the ACLU

Title: ACLU

View this email online.

ACLU of MI Newsletter

January 4, 2011

1. Our Legal Year in Review

2. Patients Take on Cities Banning Medical Marijuana

3. Another Round in the Fight for Public Defense

Are you a card-carrying member of the ACLU of MI? Join today!

join_aclu_flt09

Join us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Our Legal Year in Review

Brushing the confetti from New Year’s Eve off our shoulders, the ACLU of Michigan celebrates another year of protecting our Constitutional rights by looking back at our 2009-2010 legal docket.

With your support, this past year the ACLU ensured that:

Read more in our 2009-2010 legal docket.

Patients Take on Cities Banning Medical Marijuana

When Michiganders overwhelmingly voted to decriminalize medical marijuana, Linda Lott felt relief for the first time in years.

Linda would finally be able to treat the painful symptoms of multiple sclerosis with the drug as recommended by her doctor.

Unfortunately, her relief was short-lived. The cities in which Linda lives, socializes and owns businesses—Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills and Livonia—all passed ordinances making it a a crime to grow or use medical marijuana.

Linda, her husband Robert and the ACLU of Michigan recently challenged these ordinances in an attempt to send a clear message across the state—medical marijuana patients shouldn't live in fear for following state law. The ACLU is also challenging a similar ordinance on behalf of a patient in Wyoming, Mich.

This is the first legal challenge to such ordinances in Michigan. If successful, the outcome could have far-reaching implications for thousands of patients who have chosen compassionate care.

Read what Linda has to say about the ordinances in Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills and Livonia.

Another Round in the Fight for Public Defense

Our state is one step closer to fixing its broken justice system after the Michigan Supreme Court reinstated its decision to allow a lawsuit filed by the ACLU of Michigan to proceed.

In 2007, the ACLU filed a class action lawsuit asking a state court to force Michigan to fix its system for providing attorneys to poor people accused of crimes. As it stands, Michigan’s public defense is ranked as one of the worst in the country by leading legal experts.

Not only does the broken system lead to the incarceration of innocent people, it’s also costly. Some estimate that Michigan spends 40 percent more than other states on its prison system due to inappropriately long and often unwarranted sentences.

Read more about our fight to reform the public defense system.

We're all American

Join ACLU of MIConserving America's original civic values — those found in the Constitution and Bill of Rights — is our job. By protecting these original values, we defend the rights of everyone in this country. We have hundreds of thousands of members and supporters nationwide, from all walks of life, who help us carry out our mission every day. If you are not already a member, please join the ACLU.

This email was sent by the ACLU of MI to haytham@puckettfaraj.com. Forward this message to a friend.
We value your privacy. Read our Privacy Statement online. If you no longer wish to receive these updates or would like to modify your subscription preferences, visit the Subscriber Center.

© American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan
2966 Woodward Avenue · Detroit, MI 48201

www.aclumich.org · aclu@aclumich.org · p: 313.578.6800