Happy New Year 2011 and Thanks- La Nita Wacker

Dear Hatham and Chris,
    I was so  sorry to miss the November hearing. I would  liked to have  met the judge.
    The two of you make such an impressive defense team. Thanks for the review after the
article 32 hearing with Haytham and the lunch with Chris after Thanksgiving.
    The Wacker household has been filled with sports enthusiasts and I have witness the "Hail Mary" passes at the final seconds of a ball game thrown by the losing team.
I was amused to hear that the prosecution has thrown a "Hail Mary" in an  attempt to get Nicole on the witness list.. The defense team is ready!!
    The other sports memory in my experience is that a winning team does not have superstars with big egos but the winning team is made up of inviduals who are ready and able to do the job when the time comes. The team is a unit.
    I am so impressed with your  team.  Douglas is getting a very real apprenticeship
in court room training that he could never get in  books or with a classroom lecture. Thank you!
    Douglas signed up for Marines Reserves at age 17. My husband and I turned to each other and said,"He was born to be a Marine." I realized when I had lunch with Chris that neither of you really know Doug the person, not just the client.. Hopefully the jury will be able to hear the qualities that make up this man, my son. He has been fiercely competetive all his life, He is tenacious and gives 110%  to any task. When he  was in 6th grade he was a part of reseach by John  Hopkins  seach for gifted and talented youth who were the top 3% of the nation. Douglas was among those tested using the SAT standardized test. Then Doug scored among the top 3% of that group..Doug is mulit-talented man and a leader with ethical standards that you will be able to percieve and convey to the jury.
    As Doug sits accused I hold out the memories of John McCain who sat in POW camp for 5  years and went on to be in public life as a leader, Martin Luther King Jr. who lead a civil rights movement from a cell in jail and of Nelson Mandela who was a prisoner and went on to become a world leader.
    Oddly, this case allowed you, the defense team, to expose corruption in the leadership of the Marines. In the end the Marine Corps and the justice system will be strengthened.
    As we face  2011 I understand why dramatists and novelists use the courtroom as the setting. I am sitting on the edge of my seat to hear and see the next  plot turn in this very complex real life drama. There are so many characters and plot lines that you , as lawyers, are weaving into the story.
    We all need patience. Your courtroom demeanor is cool, calm and collected. As I write this I am reminded of a time when Bob Wacker was a defense attorney. In chambers the lawyers were waiting with the judge for a jury verdict. The young prosecutor ask the judge about his case and closing arguments. The judge responded, "If you had prepared your case as thoroughly as Wacker you would have won."  The judge was right the jury came back in favor of the defense.
    May your new year be filled with happiness. My husband loved his work and looked for every day with its challenges. He was energized by the practise of law and I hope you will capture that love and energy from your career choice.
    Best wishes for the new year and many thanks on behalf of all of my Wacker family.

La Nita Wacker
19839 8th Ave NW
Shoreline, WA 98177
206-542-3906