Big Firm Hit with $103M Malpractice Verdict; Powerful Faces = Higher Profits; Continuance for 'Very Important Baseball Matters' - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Law Firms
Malpractice Plaintiff Wins $103M Verdict Against Baker & McKenzie
Oct 26, 2010, 07:12 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/malpractice_plaintiff_wins_103m_verdict_against_baker_mckenzie?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Partners
Study Finds Link Between Law Firm Profitability and Managing Partners with Powerful Faces
Oct 25, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/study_finds_link_between_law_firm_profitability_and_mps_with_powerful_faces?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Civil Procedure
Dallas Lawyer Wins Continuance for 'Very Important Baseball Matters'
Oct 27, 2010, 12:50 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/dallas_lawyer_seeks_continuance_for_very_important_baseball_matters?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Business of Law
General Counsel to Cut Legal Spending Up to 25%: Catastrophe or Opportunity?
Oct 22, 2010, 12:13 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/general_counsel_legal_spending_cuts_catastrophe_or_opportunity?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus:
25% Cut in In-House Legal Spending Translates to Even Deeper Cuts for Outside Legal Work
Oct 27, 2010, 01:30 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/25_cut_in_in-house_legal_spending_translates_to_even_deeper_cuts_for_outsid?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

K&L Gates Chairman Sees Outsourcing as 'Gnat in an Elephant's Ear'
Oct 26, 2010, 09:20 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/kl_gates_chairman_sees_outsourcing_as_gnat_in_an_elephants_ear?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Careers
Why You Shouldn't Be Tempted by a Law Firm Counteroffer
Oct 25, 2010, 08:12 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/why_you_shouldnt_be_tempted_by_a_law_firm_counteroffer?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Partner's Recipe for Success: How to Fake the 'It' Factor
Oct 25, 2010, 05:42 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/partner_offers_pointers_how_to_fake_the_it_factor?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Election Law
A Cautionary Tale of Corporate Political Spending Emerges in Minnesota
Oct 22, 2010, 03:48 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/a_cautionary_tale_target_corporate_political_spending_emerges_in_minnesota?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
Law Prof: Entire Supreme Court Should Decide Recusal Due to Activist Wife
Oct 28, 2010, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_prof_entire_supreme_court_should_decide_recusal_due_to_activist_wife?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Justices Scalia and Kagan Go Skeet Shooting, Witnesses Report
Oct 26, 2010, 10:36 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/justices_scalia_and_kagan_go_skeet_shooting_witnesses_report?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Legal Ethics
Report: Court Tried to Protect Worker from Socially 'Inept' Judge by Hiding Her Desk
Oct 25, 2010, 06:29 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/report_court_tried_to_protect_worker_from_socially_inept_judge_by_hiding_he?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: NJ Lawyer Censured for Taking Items from Blind Vendor
Oct 25, 2010, 07:26 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/n.j._lawyer_censured_for_taking_items_from_blind_vendor?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Constitutional Law
Is the Minimum Wage Unconstitutional? Two Senate Candidates Think So
Oct 26, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/is_the_minimum_wage_unconstitutional_two_senate_candidates_think_so?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Celebrities
Randy Quaid Seeks Asylum in Canada; Wife Claims Hes on Hit List
Oct 25, 2010, 07:04 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/randy_quaid_seeks_asylum_in_canada_wife_claims_hes_on_hit_list?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What's the Most Bizarre Excuse You've Used/Heard to Call in Sick?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/whats_the_most_bizarre_excuse_youve_used_heard_to_call_in_sick?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

CareerBuilder reports this week that more and more workers are calling in sick with bizarre excuses, likely the result of worker burnout.

In its annual survey on absenteeism, CareerBuilder [http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/careerbuilder-releases-annual-list-of-the-most-unusual-excuses-for-calling-in-sick-according-to-us-employers-105851138.html] found that 29 percent of workers played hooky his year, calling in sick even when they were well.

Having a little fun with its survey, CareerBuilder also asked employers to name some of the most unusual excuses they've heard employees use when calling in sick. We enjoyed these gems:

1. Employee said a chicken attacked his mom.
2. Employee's finger was stuck in a bowling ball.
3. Employee had a hair transplant gone bad.
4. Employee fell asleep at his desk while working and hit his head, causing a neck injury.
5. Employee said a cow broke into her house and she had to wait for the insurance man.

These excuses and a story about a Dallas lawyer seeking a continuance for "very important baseball matters" made us wonder...

What are some of the most unusual excuses--real or bordering on ludicrous--you've heard or used to get out of coming into the office or going to court?

Answer in the comments.

Read answers to last week's question: "Tell Us About Your Favorite Walk-In Client or Lucrative Chance Encounter"
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/tell_us_about_your_favorite_walk-in_client_or_how_you_got_legal_biz/

Featured answer:

Posted by treasure hunter: "Several years ago an elderly, disheveled man walked into my office wanting to see a lawyer. Everyone else was at lunch. He spun a wild story about the gold his dad mined and hid somewhere on the family farm. I thought he was weaving a fantasy story until he pulled out several 4-pound ingots of pure gold. After some research, we learned that the tenants at Dad's farm had found the stash and were busy converting them to Maple Leafs. We were able to recover about 1,200 of them and our fee was 400 Maple leafs. It was years ago and gold was 'only' 400 an ounce. Still a good fee!"

In The Magazine