spice dismissed

Spice case dismissed
Since there has been a great deal of discussion about Spice, I want to share my experience about a recent Spice case at Camp Lejeune.

My client was charged with Art 92 for violating a lawful general order to wit: SECNAVINST 5300.28D.  My client was adamant about contesting the case.  After reviewing the SECNAVINST, I called USACIL for clarification on Spice.  I spoke with multiple drug lab chemists that had the same opinion.  I asked them if Spice could be classified as a designer drug, natural substance, chemical, propellant, prescribed drug, over-the-counter drug, or pharmaceutical compound.  The answer was no except for chemical.  However, they said their definition of chemical is extremely broad and that it would include everything with a molecule, i.e. water.  There opinion was that it should be classified as a synthetic.

The reason it is not a designer drug is that it does not meet the two-prong test:  1) structurally similar and 2) similar effects.  It is not a prescribed drug, over-the-counter drug, or pharmaceutical compound because it is not approved by the FDA.  It is not natural because it is synthetic, and it is just not a propellant.

With that information in mind, I talked to the TC about the case and that I would request an expert witness for a single spec "Spice" case.  After discussing this information with the convening authority and the cost of the trial, they agreed to withdraw and dismiss the case.

I do not know how strong my case would have been at trial, but it was enough to convince the TC and CA to dismiss it.  Also, I am curious to find out if anyone has contested a Spice case and what the results were.

Capt Austin Lowe

Christian P. Hur
Captain, USMC
Senior Defense Counsel
Telephone:  (619) 524-8713
Fax:  (619) 524-6784
Address:  Defense Section, Bldg 12, 1st Floor, MCRD, San Diego, CA 92140

This email may contain Attorney Work Product.  Please delete if you received
this message in error.