Disbarred for $3,500/Hr Fee; Ann Coulter Hated Law Firm Job; Nontraditional Lawyer Jobs Rising; Judge's Coffee Cup Dress Code - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Legal Ethics
Lawyer Disbarred for $3,500-an-Hour Fee and 'Bizarre Behavior'
Oct 13, 2010, 10:07 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_disbarred_for_3500-an-hour_fee_and_bizarre_behavior?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Retired Judge to be Tried for Perjury, Admits Letting Witness Lie to Protect Paid Informant
Oct 13, 2010, 02:57 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/retired_judge_to_be_tried_for_perjury_admits_letting_witness_lie_to_protect?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Law Firms
Six Wildman Harrold Partners Unsure When Firm Will Allow Them to Leave
Oct 12, 2010, 08:51 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/six_wildman_harrold_partners_unsure_when_firm_will_allow_them_to_leave?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Layoffs of Perhaps 100 Follow Work Slowdown at Fla. Foreclosure Law Firm
Oct 13, 2010, 12:24 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/layoffs_of_perhaps_100_follow_loss_of_foreclosure_work_at_south_florida_law?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Careers
Conservative Commentator Ann Coulter Hated Law Firm 'Suck-Uppery'
Oct 12, 2010, 08:02 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/conservative_commentator_ann_coulter_hated_law_firm_suck-uppery?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus:
Labor Report Cites Rise in Nontraditional Jobs for Lawyers, Good Paralegal Prospects
Oct 12, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/labor_report_cites_rise_in_nontraditional_jobs_for_lawyers_paralegal_job_gr?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

When Giving Notice, Be Positive and Pick a Friday, Consultants Say
Oct 14, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/when_giving_notice_be_positive_and_pick_a_friday_consultants_say?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

At 81, Entertainment Lawyer Bert Fields Still Bills 3,000 Hours a Year
Oct 8, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/at_81_entertainment_lawyer_bert_fields_still_bills_3000_hours_a_year?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Judiciary
Wisconsin Judge Has Dress Code for Lawyers and Beverages
Oct 14, 2010, 09:32 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/wisconsin_judge_has_dress_code_for_lawyers_and_beverages?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Public Warning Tossed Against 'We Close at 5' Texas Judge
Oct 12, 2010, 07:16 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/public_warning_tossed_against_we_close_at_5_texas_judge?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

The New Normal
Welcome to 'The New Normal'
Oct 13, 2010, 05:31 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/welcome_to_the_new_normal?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: 'We Don't Do Commodity Work' and Other Definitions
Oct 14, 2010, 09:15 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/we_dont_do_commodity_work_and_other_definitions?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Constitutional Law
Repeal the 17th Amendment? Some Candidates Back the Idea
Oct 13, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/repeal_the_17th_amendment_some_candidates_back_the_idea?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
'CSI Effect' Grips the U.S. Supreme Court
Oct 13, 2010, 09:23 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/csi_effect_grips_the_u.s._supreme_court?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

International Law
US Lags Well Behind Other Wealthy Nations on Rule of Law, Report Says
Oct 14, 2010, 08:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/us_lags_well_behind_other_wealthy_nations_on_rule_of_law_report_says?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Government Law
Proposed Leaf-Blower Ban Generates Lots of Noise from Irked Citizens
Oct 13, 2010, 02:09 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/proposed_leaf-blower_ban_generates_lots_of_noise_from_irked_citizens?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Tort Law
Who's Liable for a Driverless Car Accident? Google Test Raises the Issue
Oct 12, 2010, 08:35 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/whos_liable_for_a_driverless_car_accident_google_test_raises_the_issue?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Tell Us Your Client Ground Rules, Real or Fantasy
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/tell_us_your_client_ground_rules_real_or_fantasy?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

Last week, we noted the Pincus Family Law firm's message to its clients on its website: Client Expectations (Realistic or Unrealistic). One of the main items: "We do not work on the weekends and do not provide emergency numbers for the weekends," the Columbia, S.C.-based firm wrote. "There are times we may look at and answer your e-mail over the weekend, but this is generally the exception and not to be relied upon by you that we are accessible on weekends."

We'd like to know: What are your client ground rules, real or fantasy? If you lay out limits to clients from the get-go, how do they respond? Or the nature of your practice area make ever setting any limits just a dream?

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: How Do You Stay Fit?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/how_do_you_stay_fit/

Featured answer:

Posted by dlr: "We set up a theater in the basement (102" screen) with seating for eight. In back of the room, we set up a home gym. We have an elliptical, StairMaster, treadmill, bike and weight machine. I get home at 6, change into workout wear, and do cardio for 45 minutes while watching Snapped! on TV (about women who murder their philandering husbands). We have a DVR downstairs, so I have watched Cubs games (no longer energizing), CSI Miami, etc."

In The Magazine