Worker Justice E-News October 2010

Title: Interfaith Worker Justice E-news

IWJ E-news

Our apologies to ayone who is receiving this a second time. There was a problem with our server yesterday.

October 2010

Some recent highlights from IWJ's campaigns and projects.

Bar

Major New Federal Wage Theft Legislation Introduced!

Last week, Rep. Phil Hare of Illinois introduced the Wage Theft Prevention and Community Partnership Act (H.R. 6268), which would authorize the U.S. Department of Labor to establish a grant program to expand the efforts of enforcement agencies and community organizations to educate workers about their rights and the remedies available to them. The law would direct badly needed funds to worker centers to do their vital work. "Even with the welcome increases Secretary Solis has implemented, there remain only a thousand Wage and Hour investigators to protect 135 million workers across the country -- clearly the DOL can't educate and protect 135 million workers all by itself," said IWJ Executive Director Kim Bobo. "There's a vibrant network of worker centers and legal clinics on the ground level helping to fill in the gaps, but they are woefully under-resourced," said Dianne Enriquez, Coordinator of IWJ's Worker Center Network. This legislation would go a long way in strengthening worker centers to do that.

Bar

November 18 -- IWJ's Second Annual Wage Theft National Day of Action

IWJ is organizing another Wage Theft National Day of Action in cities across the country to highlight the ongoing crisis and the need for vigorous local, county, state, and federal initiatives to stop it. We're urging worker centers, religion-labor groups, labor unions, worker advocates, congregations, and groups throughout the country to organize an event on November 18 and to coordinate with IWJ. To do so, please e-mail IWJ's Public Policy Director Ted Smukler at tsmukler@iwj.org

Bar

Join Us in Standing Up Against Anti-Muslim Vitriol

With the wave of anti-Muslim vitriol permeating our culture, it is imperative that people of conscience take a stand. Please join us in showing solidarity with our Muslim sisters and brothers. You can do so by downloading this sign and spreading the word! How? Print it out and post it in your window, your car, or your office. Take a photo of you holding the sign and post it on Facebook (and on IWJ's Facebook page) and share it with your friends. Encourage your friends to download the sign and spread the message of tolerance and peace. This is your chance to be creative. Please e-mail us to let us know what you decided to do. Let's oppose the bigotry we've seen in recent weeks.

Bar

National Immigration Update!

Last week, Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) introduced the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2010. The bill retains several elements of former immigration reform bills, including the DREAM Act and AgJOBS in their entirety, increased worker protections, and a pathway to legalization. Save the Date! IWJ will again be joining with the national New Sanctuary Movement and other organizations and congregations during the December holiday season to host a National Week of Interfaith Prayer and Action in support of just and humane immigration reform. We invite local congregations and organizations to start thinking about hosting prayer vigils, posadas, or other public events during that time. For more information or resources, or to be involved in any part of IWJ's immigration campaign, contact Kristin Kumpf, at kkumpf@iwj.org.

back to top

Bar

IWJ's New DC Office

IWJ's presence in the national policy arena is about to see dramatic growth. As of October, IWJ now has a new DC office headed up by two veterans of religion and justice work. The Rev. Paul Sherry is Director of IWJ's DC Public Policy Office and Thom Shellabarger is IWJ's Public Policy Associate. See here for more on Paul and Thom and IWJ's new DC office.

back to top

Bar

New Staff

IWJ welcomes several new members to its national staff: Claudia Henriquez is our new National Health and Safety Training Coordinator (a new position at IWJ). Honna Eichler is the new Assistant to the Executive Director. Joe Hopkins is our new Workers' Center Network Assistant. And Keron Blair is our new Student Programs and Campus Alliance Coordinator.

back to top

Bar

IWJ on Facebook

Have you become a Fan of IWJ on Facebook? If not, please visit us on Facebook to follow the latest developments on the organization's campaigns and to join the discussion!

back to top

Bar

Tell a friend about our newsletter. You have received this email through your subscription to IWJ's e-mail list. Click HERE if you want to modify your e-mail communication preference or would no longer like to receive the Worker Justice E-news.

Interfaith Worker Justice - 1020 W. Bryn Mawr Ave., Chicago, IL 60660. ph (773) 728-8400

empowered by Salsa