Midlevels 'Cranky' About Pay; Juror's Facebook Note Proclaims Guilt, Before Verdict; 'Jersey Shore' A Criminal Enterprise? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Associates
BigLaw's 'Cranky' Midlevel Associates Are Dissatisfied with Pay and Benefits
Sep 1, 2010, 07:44 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/biglaws_cranky_midlevel_associates_are_dissatisfied_with_pay_and_benefits

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Juries
Oops. Juror Calls Defendant Guilty on Facebook, Though Verdict Isn't In
Aug 30, 2010, 12:43 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/oops._juror_calls_defendant_guilty_on_facebook_though_verdict_isnt_in

Entertainment & Sports Law
Lawyer Contends 'Jersey Shore' Is a Criminal Enterprise
Sep 1, 2010, 06:40 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_contends_jersey_shore_is_a_criminal_enterprise

Business of Law
3 Seyfarth Partners Form New Suburban Firm to Offer 'Lower Cost' Alternative
Sep 1, 2010, 05:03 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/3_seyfarth_partners_form_new_firm_in_chicago_suburb_to_provide_lower_cost_a

Plus: Another Lawyer Sues Avvo Rating Site, Claims Its Practices Are 'Beyond Unfair'
Sep 2, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/another_lawyer_sues_avvo_rating_site_claims_its_practices_are_beyond_unfair

U.S. Supreme Court
How Justice Ginsburg Handled Phone Calls About Her Misbehaving Kid
Aug 30, 2010, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/how_justice_ginsburg_handled_phone_calls_about_her_misbehaving_kid

Plus: The Supreme Court Is Split on Apostrophes
Sep 2, 2010, 09:45 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/the_supreme_court_is_split_on_apostrophes

Legal Ethics
'Sex Object' Client Complains: My Lawyer Showed Me Nude Photos of His Wife, Now a Judge
Aug 31, 2010, 07:37 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/sex_object_client_complains_my_lawyer_showed_me_nude_pix_of_his_wife_a_judg

Careers
Interviewing? Here's How to Put Off Pay Discussion as Long as Possible
Aug 31, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/interviewing_heres_how_to_put_off_pay_discussion_as_long_as_possible

Criminal Justice
Defendant Slits His Throat in Courtroom After Being Sentenced to 40 Years
Aug 31, 2010, 12:04 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/defendant_slits_his_throat_in_courtroom_after_being_sentenced_to_40_years

Elder Law
$667M Nursing Home Verdict Surprised Even the Plaintiffs' Lawyers
Aug 31, 2010, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/667m_nursing_home_verdict_surprised_even_the_plaintiffs_lawyers

Law Students
Georgetown 3L's Supreme Court Appeal: Let Law Students Save Money, Take Bar After 2 Years
Sep 1, 2010, 02:51 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/georgetown_3ls_supreme_court_appeal_let_law_students_take_bar_after_2_years

Plus:
Adjunct Law Prof Hits Schools' Preoccupation with 'Impractical Scholarship'
Sep 1, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/adjunct_law_prof_hits_schools_preoccupation_with_impractical_scholarship

Law School Hunger Striker Ends Fast; Eyewitness Says She Is Weak, Fatigued and Thinner
Aug 31, 2010, 10:25 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_school_hunger_striker_ends_fast_editor_says_she_is_weak_fatigued_and_th

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What Was the Most Memorable Deposition You Have Been a Part Of?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/what_was_the_most_memorable_deposition_you_have_been_a_part_of

This week, we noted a recent Connecticut Statewide Grievance Committee ruling taking an insurance company's lawyer to task for asking deposition questions that could have been phrased with more tact.

Ultimately finding that his questions were fair, the legal ethics panel declined to discipline the lawyer, who'd been accused of re-traumatizing the claimant during the 2008 deposition.

Sometimes, though, lawyers are found to have crossed the line with deposition behavior. Earlier this summer, a Miami lawyer was suspended for 60 days and ordered to counseling after an outburst during a 2007 deposition during which the lawyer's own consultant told him to take a Xanax and the court reporter present exclaimed, "I can't work like this!"

This week, we'd like to ask you: What was the most memorable deposition that you have been a part of? Did emotions run high? Did either a client or a lawyer exhibit borderline behavior? Was something shocking revealed? Or was the memorable deposition one in which a celebrity or other high-profile individual was deposed?

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: Extravagant? I Say It's an Investment.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/extravagant_i_say_its_an_investment

Featured answer:

Posted by MacFarlin: "A full-service bathroom for my office, complete with shower. Yes, this may seem extravagant, but the shower affords me the ability to run to the office from my home (6 miles each way), as well as to exercise at lunch.  Since the bathroom was installed in April of this year, my weight has dropped from 250 lbs to 208 lbs (as of this morning)."

In The Magazine