Worker Justice E-News September 2010

Title: Interfaith Worker Justice E-news

IWJ E-news

September 2010

Some recent highlights from IWJ's campaigns and projects.

Bar

Thank a special worker in your life

This Labor Day, let us take time to remember and draw strength from the struggles and victories of those workers who came before us. And as we celebrate the past, let us also honor and lift up the individuals whose labors continue to impact our lives today. For the month of September, honor at least one special worker with a gift to Interfaith Worker Justice. We will send your honoree a certificate and add his or her name to the 2010 Honoree List posted on IWJ's website. More importantly, your gift will support IWJ campaigns and programs that improve wages, benefits, and conditions for workers like your honoree(s). By honoring a worker today you're not only recognizing and thanking one or a handful of people, you're also helping strengthen a movement for worker justice. Click here to honor a worker today.

Bar

New Resources for Labor in the Pulpits 2010!

This year, over 1,000 congregations are participating in Labor in the Pulpits. Need ideas on how your congregation can honor workers during your Labor Day weekend service? Go here for our new Labor in the Pulpits resources! For more information, contact Cynthia Brooke at cbrooke@iwj.org.

Bar

Register for IWJ's Organizing for Worker Justice Training, October 3-7 in Chicago

Do you want to learn how to strengthen partnerships between religious and labor leaders? Understand the fundamentals of Direct Action Organizing? Design creative interfaith actions? Develop strategies for building your organization? Develop effective fundraising strategies? Frame the message about religious values and workers rights to the media? If so, then this training is for you! Go here for registration details. All participants must be registered by Friday, September 3. For more information, call (773) 728-8400 ext. 10 or e-mail bvalenta@iwj.org.

Bar

One Nation Working Together

IWJ has officially endorsed the One Nation Rally that will be held on October 2 in Washington, D.C. We will be joining with many other groups to highlight the issues of jobs, economic security, immigration and education. There will be more information after Labor Day on bus transportation and events in your area.  For more information go to http://www.onenationworkingtogether.org.

back to top

Bar

Participate in the Wage Theft
National Day of Action on November 18

The Thursday before Thanksgiving, IWJ is coordinating dozens of actions across the country to shine a bright light on the crime of wage theft and the solutions we can achieve working together to confront this epidemic. We invite you to stand with workers by joining with religion-labor groups, worker centers, congregations and unions that will be holding events around the country. You can make a difference by scheduling an event - whether a prayer vigil, a direct action on an employer to collect unpaid wages, or a meeting with a member of Congress to elicit support for new wage theft legislation. For more information, contact IWJ Public Policy Director Ted Smukler at tsmukler@iwj.org or 773-728-8400, ext. 39.

back to top

Bar

Save the Date: Attend IWJ's 15th Anniversary Conference in 2011!

2011 will mark IWJ's 15th year of fighting for workers' rights. Come celebrate the organization's past and help plan its future in Chicago June 19-21, 2011! More detailed information, including how to register, will be announced soon. Stay tuned…

back to top

Bar

IWJ on Facebook

Have you become a Fan of IWJ on Facebook? If not, please visit us on Facebook to follow the latest developments on the organization's campaigns and to join the discussion!

back to top

Bar

Tell a friend about our newsletter. You have received this email through your subscription to IWJ's e-mail list. Click HERE if you want to modify your e-mail communication preference or would no longer like to receive the Worker Justice E-news.

Interfaith Worker Justice - 1020 W. Bryn Mawr Ave., Chicago, IL 60660. ph (773) 728-8400