Re: Assistant for me

H, here's somethings to think about:

1.  Quick Web search = min wage in MI as of July09 is 7.40 hr = $592.00 per pay period (26 pay periods = $15,392 annual).   This does not include a $40 cell phone benefit (that also must then be applied to everyone else??? see item 2.)  In fact, I have no idea how to provide that via paychex or otherwise.
2.  In VA - any benefits extended to one employee must be extended to ALL employees.  Therefore, any thing you set up with Ms. Chamesseddine must apply to Nick, Eric and Debra.  Suggest an analysis of benefits, agreement between you and Neal on those benefits and research into any specifics dependent on state laws before decisions are made.
a. This would apply to bonuses at the end of the year as well.
b. If we adding $40 a month for health club for employees - we will need verification she has a membership
somewhere (copy of her agreement).  This is in the category of what one employee gets, everyone gets.
c. Is this paid vacation you are talking about?  Again, must apply to everyone in some form (i.e.. attorneys may get 3 weeks while overhead employees only get 2 weeks or it gets graduated --- 1st - 5th year 2 weeks; 5th - 10th year 3 weeks; 10+ years working for the Firm = 4 weeks ???
3. New Employees -- FED law regarding I-9 and eVerify on US Citizenship may now have to be done, if the Firm has more than 3 employees.  Currently it has 3 (me, Eric, Nick).  As of 1 September add Debra and add Ms Chamesseddine.
4. Changes in workman's comp must be done w/Hartford Ins
5.  If you are getting a new rental space, must change the Hartford Ins to cover that space as well for liability of the employee getting hurt on the job.
6. Must apply for Foreign corp status in MI.
7. Paperwork to hire includes an offer letter; employee handbook (not yet written - must have decisions from corporate on benefits); I-9 form (and/or eVerify process w/Fed Govn't); Paychex direct deposit form, filled out, dated and signed by employee; Paychex Employee info Form; etc.
8. Firm Emails - I can do those -- that's a $50 dollar set up charge by Google.
9.  Process questions:  Is Nick in charge of ordering all office supplies so costs/billing/receipts can be managed?
10.  MI requirements for Health care -- usually Firms are not required to give part time employees health care - full time employees are a different story.  Are you ready to buy her health care?