1,000 Job Apps, Zero Interviews; Black Lawyer Tells of Brush with Police After Mistaken ID; Lindsay Lohan's Favorite Law Prof - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Careers
Unemployed Lawyer Applies for 1,000 Jobs, Scores Zero Interviews
Jul 13, 2010, 05:45 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/unemployed_lawyer_applies_for_1000_jobs_scores_zero_interviews

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Criminal Justice
Black Criminal Defense Lawyer Tells of Being Cuffed, Suspected as Getaway Driver
Jul 15, 2010, 05:29 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/criminal_defense_lawyer_is_briefly_a_suspected_getaway_driver_after_bad_id

Celebrities
Law Prof Finds Fame After Lindsay Lohan Tweets His Article
Jul 13, 2010, 06:39 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_prof_finds_new-found_fame_after_lindsay_lohan_tweets_his_article

Law Students
Onetime Law Student Sues, Claims Beer Pong Prowess Wasn't Meant for Prime Time
Jul 15, 2010, 01:46 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/one-time_law_student_sues_claims_beer_pong_prowess_wasnt_meant_for_prime_ti

Plus:

Recent Law Grad Files New $1M Suit Against Lawyer in Prove-Me-Wrong Dare
Jul 12, 2010, 07:04 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/ex-law_student_files_new_1m_suit_against_lawyer_in_prove-me-wrong_dare

Careers
Summer Associate Faux Pas Include Chewing Gum, Checking Phones, Closing Eyes
Jul 14, 2010, 07:19 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/summer_associate_faux_pas_include_chewing_gum_checking_phones_closing_eyes

Plus:

Business of Law
Are We Fashion Victims? Just Say So, Interns Urge Female Lawyers
Jul 13, 2010, 05:14 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/are_we_fashion_victims_just_say_so_interns_urge_female_lawyers

Law Firms
NY Law Firm Has 14 Lawyers, But Files About 80,000 Suits a Year
Jul 13, 2010, 07:43 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/ny_law_firm_has_14_lawyers_but_files_about_80000_suits_a_year

Legal Ethics
Hogan Lovells Partner in Hot Seat After Bid for Colo. Governor's Job Raises Plagiarism Issue
Jul 14, 2010, 06:33 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/hogan_lovells_partner_in_hot_seat_after_bid_for_colo._govs_job_raises_plagi

Tax Law
Steinbrenner's 2010 Death May Have Saved His Heirs About $600M
Jul 14, 2010, 10:09 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/steinbrenners_death_may_have_saved_his_heirs_about_600m

Trials & Litigation
Judges Say Litigants Are Increasingly Going Pro Se--at Their Own Peril
Jul 12, 2010, 11:39 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/judges_say_litigants_increasingly_going_pro_se--at_their_own_

Law Schools
New Nonprofit Asks Law Schools for Detailed Salary, Job Information
Jul 13, 2010, 07:14 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/new_nonprofit_asks_law_schools_for_detailed_salary_job_information

Plus:

Law Schools
Will Law School Credentials Bubble Burst? Law Prof Calls Trends 'Unsustainable'
Jul 15, 2010, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/will_law_school_credentials_bubble_burst_law_prof_calls_trends_unsustainabl

------------------------------

What's the Biggest Intern Blunder You've Witnessed?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/whats_the_biggest_intern_blunder_youve_witnessed

Law students have arrived at their respective summer legal jobs, striving to do good work and make good impressions on their potential future employers. Or at least not make bad impressions. But sometimes they fail at that. This week, a female lawyer at a government agency asked the blog Corporette about the best way to deliver the news to female interns that wearing tank tops and flip-flops is taking "jeans Friday" too far. And Paul Hastings hiring partner Leigh Ryan lamented some summers' bad behavior during meetings, such as checking cellphones and chewing gum.

So we want you to tell us: What's the biggest intern blunder you've witnessed? Missteps committed both on the job and at the interview level qualify.

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: What Songs / Artists Are on Your Office Playlist?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/what_songs_artists_are_on_your_office_playlist/

Featured answer:

Posted by BMF: "Like several other people here, I prefer Mozart, Bach or Beethoven in the background while writing. When it comes to research or other tasks, the sky's the limit: rock, blues, jazz, gospel, opera, a smidgen of heavy metal, even a few recordings of Japanese folk songs and Sufi music that were gifts from friends. Also each of my cases has a 'theme song' to sort of get me in the right frame of mind. One of the current trials has 'Jerry Springer, the Opera.' While the character of Satan has all the plum parts, I often find myself singing God's solo: 'It ain't easy being me, I tell ya/ It's so not easy being me/ Millions of voices making all the wrong choices/ then turnin' 'round and blaming it on me.' "

In The Magazine